cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4 GHz channels and power settings

philip_ince
New Contributor
Can I just get some clarification on best practices for the Ruckus APs.

I've been told to not use the 1,6,11 channel pattern and have all the 2.4GHz channels (1-11) enabled as this helps with beamflex; is this true as it goes against everything I have learnt?

In addition, I have been told to leave the power of the APs to Full/Auto; this goes against keeping the cell sizes smaller to help with capacity

This is for use in a 'hotel' type installation.

Could I have some clarification and reasoning why this is the best practice? 

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hi Philip,

Best Practice is to consult with your local Ruckus VAR or Systems Engineer about your design.
Your hotel environment and building construction matter to RF signal propgation, and your AP choice
too.  You typically DO want to use all 2.4g radio bands, 1-11, and only 1/6/11 exclusively if you have
very old equipment that cannot use all channels.  How you place your APs should be determined
by how many rooms/clients you expect, depending on how many floors in the hotel, outdoor needs
like a pool area/parking lot coverage.  Typically, yes, leave your APs on full power, and allow the
controller to adjust AP power/channel, will be best for the most clients.  Many hotels will have an
indoor Hospitality AP for each 4 rooms, like the H510, and mesh them to a bigger AP, like R510/610
that are staggered on alternate walls between floors (not all in a line down the hall, same on every
floor!).  But these are just a few thoughts about your questions, and more discussion with your
local VAR/SE would be my best practice advice. 

philip_ince
New Contributor
Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. I just wanted to know the theory of why Ruckus recommends using all the channels in the 2.4GHz more than anything. I can kind of understand the theory behind leaving the Tx power on full as it makes use of the Beamflex/antenna array system. Thanks

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hi Philip,

I'm glad you understand BeamFlex, how we direct tx/rx antenna pairs to the client's last known
location, not sending energy in other directions that could interfere/reduce throughput for others.
The concept of ChannelFly (use all 1-11 2.4g channels instead of just 1/6/11) versus Background
scanning (the default), is with regard to overlapping channels and center frequencies, where the
highest part of the parabola is seen.  Yes, channels 1/6/11 do NOT overlap at all, and therefore
you get/expect full bandwidth/throughput.  But with many APs all using these same channels near
each other, they can cause same-channel interference and slightly reduce the throughput.  With
ChannelFly using in-between channels too, the level of near AP interference is reduced, different
parabola peaks, not so much overlap, so you get better throughput on the 1/6/11 and also in-between
channels, for expected 33% better overall client connections.  I hope this is helpful.