cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving ruckus to new subnet issue

MWSS
New Contributor

Hello, 

Last night I attempted to move the 11 R650s we have to a new subnet and switch. Before committing to moving the all the APs I moved one but the issue I have is that the AP in unreachable.   Ok, you're going to say it's a networking or switch issue but hear me out.  I dont think I've missed anything and think it's a behavior issue of the AP.

First of all I configured the new switch port to be natively in the vlan of the new management IP of the AP.  I then ensure the port had all other Vlans tagged to which the wifis live on.   Once that was complete, using the master AP and management address, I picked my AP (11 in this case), selected edit and changed the network settings to the new subnet.    I then obviously lost access as it's connected to the old switch in the wrong vlan. I then repatched the AP to the correct switch.  Before proceeding with the other APs I wanted to make sure I could ping the new IP for ap11 but it just failed.   I even tested by adding my laptop to the same vlan, assigned myself an ip in the same subnet and still could not access it, even though i could reach other devices on that network.

also in the master AP log there was 1 entry for it being discovered but couldnt be managed as ruckus doesnt support across subnets.  

so it looks like everything should be working but there was no way i was going to move the rest of the aps without confirming ip connectivity.   Do r650s just not work if they cant talk to the master?  Id expect them to respond to a ping.  

7 REPLIES 7

aalvarez6
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi, 

Thank you for using the forum. 

To answer your question, yes, the other APs need to be connected and in the same network to communicate to the master AP, otherwise, they are disconnected, meaning they won't reply to ping. 

Best Regards,

Ayleth Alvarez | Sr Technical Support Engineer 

MWSS
New Contributor

really? wow.  So ping will not work to a single AP if it isnt on the same vlan as the master?  surely it has some l3 connectivity to accept a ping?

MWSS
New Contributor

just to confirm, this isnt an AP to AP ping. I was pinging the AP from a laptop of the same subnet/vlan

aalvarez6
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi, 

Thank you for letting me know that. 

So, if the AP you are trying to ping is on the same subnet as the laptop then you should receive a response from the AP, but if you want to ping the master that is on a different subnet/vlan as the member AP then it won't work. For APs to work together they must be on the same layer 2 domain/VLAN.

Please let me know if I understood your question correctly. 

Best Regards,

Ayleth Alvarez | Sr Technical Support Engineer