cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoneDirector (ZD) Are different firmware versions allowed?

john_woodall_56
New Contributor III
We currently have an Unleashed network on 200.7.
However, R500's (end of support: 2024) do not support 200.8 or later. Adding a 200.8 device to the network caused severe issues (R500's on 200.7 started rebooting). 

We have quite a few, and they are not old devices, so we do not feel it is warranted to replace these yet. 

I would like to know if ZoneDirector supports APs on different firmware versions.
Reasoning: I assume that R500 firmware will stop being updated at some point and would not want these to become paperweights.

I am aware that vSZ does, per this article: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000004826 
but could not find the same article for ZD.
3 REPLIES 3

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi John,

No, ZD do not supports multiple AP firmware versions like vSZ.

I would suggest using vSZ with different AP zone firmware, as per your requirement.

vSZ supports 3 major versions at a time.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi John,

Just to reiterate Syamantak's comments: SmartZone can absolutely support different firmware types. It is one of the platform's main features for customer investment protection.

The principle being that the controller software can be updated to support the latest generation APs and individual Zones configured on the controller can have older firmware in order to support legacy model APs and newer software to support new types of AP e.g. Wi-Fi 6.

Regards,
Darrel.

john_woodall_56
New Contributor III
I will engage the customer and see if he'd prefer to replace the R500's and stick with Unleashed or scope a vSZ installation/licensing & flash firmware on all existing APs.

Thank you for the response.