cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unleashed Gateway Mode

moseley_8028012
New Contributor
Is there a way of running the R510 Unleashed in GW mode without having the DHCP service enabled? I already have a DHCP server in my portable training environment but I would like the R510 to act as AP and Gateway. 
5 REPLIES 5

nat_nat
Contributor II
No, it is not possible to disable DHCP service on Unleashed Gateway AP. It is done this way to avoid config error . For example, in your own DHCP server if you configured gateway IP to be something other Gateway AP's LAN interface then traffic will not come to Gateway AP. This will certainly cause confusion and network won't work the way it is expected to work. 

Since Gateway AP can provide IP addresses to all clients on the LAN side (both Wired and Wireless) why can't you disable the other DHCP server?

thanks
Nat

moseley_8028012
New Contributor
The other DHCP server is passing out default domain and a few other options not available in the Unleashed config.

nat_nat
Contributor II
I expected this is likely going to be your reply. I (Product Manager for Unleashed) will take this as a feature request to allow advanced users like you to have the ability to disable it in the future.

For now, you could keep the Gateway AP off until all the clients get their IP addresses in your training environment and then turn back ON the Gateway AP. Another option is to reduce the DHCP pool size on Gateway AP to just '1' so that client devices will get IP from your DHCP server instead of Gateway AP.

-Nat

paul_van_der_cr
Contributor
If you already have a DHCP service in the network, why do you want to use GW mode on the AP?