cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect R650 to R500 unleashed OR load R650 with standalone firmware

Feri
New Contributor

I understand that the R650 APs loaded with the unleashed firmware need to be converted to standalone APs first by uploading a 11x.x.x.x firmware but when I try this on the unleashed interface under admin and services - administration - upgrade I get a "The uploaded software version is 114.0.0.0.6565, doesn't match with Master AP's 200.7.10.202.141, please choose the same version as Master AP." message. 

I can't use the R650s because their oldest unleashed firmware (R650-200.9.10.4.202.bl7) is newer version than the master controllers.

The master controllers are R500 on the latest unleashed firmware (R500_200.7.10.202.141.bl7).

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Parik_MN
RUCKUS Team Member

Hello @Feri

There is no other way around, you would need different subnet to manage two Unleased setup in same network. Unless the AP cannot reach default gateway, message "Building the Unleashed Network. It may take a few minutes" would be persistent.

You can try preferred master mode in R650 AP and let other R650 APs join the master. You might need to find a way to block sending broadcasts to R500 APs, if you would like to manage both AP models in same subnet. Below commands and document is for version 200.14.

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/unleashed-200.14-commandref

ruckus(config)# ap-policy
ruckus(config-ap-policy)# preferred-master ap-mac d4:c1:9e:35:a9:40
The Preferred Master function has been updated.

Regards,

Parik

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Parik_MN
RUCKUS Team Member

Hello @Feri 

Both R500s and R650s cannot be managed in the same Unleashed network, as R500s are already announced end of life. It is suggested to managed two different Unleashed network on different/latest compatible firmware for each model.

Regards,

Parik

Feri
New Contributor

Hello Parik,

Thank you for your suggestion. How can I create two different Unleashed networks if there is already a managed network on the same subnet built from R500 APs and the R650 APs individual interface just returns the "Building the Unleashed Network. It may take a few minutes." message?

Parik_MN
RUCKUS Team Member

Hello @Feri

There is no other way around, you would need different subnet to manage two Unleased setup in same network. Unless the AP cannot reach default gateway, message "Building the Unleashed Network. It may take a few minutes" would be persistent.

You can try preferred master mode in R650 AP and let other R650 APs join the master. You might need to find a way to block sending broadcasts to R500 APs, if you would like to manage both AP models in same subnet. Below commands and document is for version 200.14.

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/unleashed-200.14-commandref

ruckus(config)# ap-policy
ruckus(config-ap-policy)# preferred-master ap-mac d4:c1:9e:35:a9:40
The Preferred Master function has been updated.

Regards,

Parik

Feri
New Contributor

Hello Parik,

Thank you again for your response. If I can't have two unleashed networks on the same subnet, then I would like to make use of the R650 APs in standalone mode but I am unable to load a firmware to them even using CLI. 

Should I connect them to a separate PoE switch one-by-one and browse to their IP that way to upload a standalone firmware? I'm looking for a solution which is proving to be rather challenging to achieve.