cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate 2.4 vs 5ghz SSID's

richard_faris_j
New Contributor II
I'm replacing 3-4 Pakedge WX-1's in my home with Unleashed R710's.  I want to use the same SSID's so that I don't have to reconnect a gazillion devices.  I'm a step above novice when it comes to networking and typically know what I need to know to perform my job.  This one has me stumped.  How to I create separates, or can I just create 2 in the Ruckus setup that match the names and security of the two SSID's I'm running now?  Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

daniel_m
Contributor

I know this doesn’t answer your question, but why are you replacing your high-end Pakedge access points?

Actually a very good question.  I refuse to denigrate the Pakedge WAPs.  I have experience with both WK and WX series and they are solid as a rock (as is every current Pakedge network device).  The issue is that Ruckus (I only have experience with the Unleashed platform) is wildly easy to setup and manage and it tends to have a richer faster WiFi signal all else equal.  Pakedge is a dealer centric brand, so it really takes dealer involvement to reap the total benefits.  On a sidenote, I have never had to reboot a Pakedge Network, they are very very stable.  In the case, I am now using a Mikrotik Router, a Ubiquity Edge Power switch and Ruckus AP's.  It's a networking guy's dream.

mark_schneider
New Contributor

Sorry to awaken a 'dead thread'. I am about to deply a single R650 Access poin in my home, and have a question that I cannopt seem to find addressed anywhere....

I currently have 3 ssids on my Netgear AX12.  One for 2.4g, one for 5g, and a guest network on 5g only.   This allows me to select which band my devices log into. I am not sure which band they will log into if i set up a dual-band single ssid netowrk (forget the guest thing for the moment).  What determines which band which devices connect to - should I care?

Thanks!

You should care. Device makes decision to which band to connect, and decision is often not the best one. This is a typical issue with Apple devices, which see higher RSSI on 2.4GHz and connect to it, instead of using much less crowded 5GHz band with slightly lower RSSI. So it is always good to have separate SSID for 5GHz, and to use 2.4GHz only for old devices, not supporting 5GHz.

Recently we recommended our customer to implement separate SSID for 5GHz and make it default for all business devices supporting 5GHz, which resulted in major improvement of connections quality, and 50% traffic growth.