cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Unleashed r500 not working correctly with Google Expeditions

martin_goodwin_
New Contributor III
I have a client who has just half a dozen unleashed r500 Ap's all on the same subnet.
All they want to do is be able to use Google Expeditions so that one ipad can be a Guide and the others as Followers.
The ipads all receive their ip addresses from same DHCP server and all on the same subnet- they are set up on the Master AP as VLAN 1 there are no other VLANs .
The Google Expeditions apps cannot find each other -the idea is that they are all on same wifi network -once the Leader has started the app the followers can find the leader , form an expedition and get exploring.However neither can find each other.
Everything I have read around this advises me to tick the bonjour gateway tick box and allow this between VLANs - however I have been advised that because they have a flat network with no VLANS Bonjour Gateway is not relevant as all broadcast traffic is on the same subnet, so it should just work straight away. The trouble is it doesnt.

Im hoping some /many of you will have experienced this before.
Many thanks in advance
13 REPLIES 13

martin_goodwin_
New Contributor III
Can i just add please - should i be typing a different et of commands. My clients network is Ruckus Unleashed and doesnt have a zone director. However the commands above have not worked. On another part of the forums someone has posted the following as a resolution to turn off directed multicast and I wondered if i should do it.

Here are their commands

ruckus> enable
ruckus# config
ruckus(config)# show wlan (to get the exact name of the WLAN I wanted to configure)
ruckus(config)# wlan MySSID
ruckus(config-wlan)# no qos directed-multicast
ruckus(config-wlan)# qos directed-threshold 0
ruckus(config-wlan)# end
ruckus(config)# end
ruckus# reboot

Are these valid commands for the unleashed system -where do i apply these commands onto the master ap or individually on each ap. Will this definitely work to allow Google Expeditions through.

Many thanks in advance

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Goodday,

Yes, the above (commands from a ZoneDirector WLAN edit), also work under your Master AP,
and is an alternative to the Member AP/Master AP CLI commands I provided above.  Please try
this out and let us know your results.  I'd never heard of "google expedition" until you asked, so I
do not know all it's underlying protocols, thanks.

martin_goodwin_
New Contributor III
Thank you I'll try it. Do I need to undo the commands you gave me yesterday or will this not affect them. If I do need to undo them how do I do that ?

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hello Goodday,
    While a google page tells people to use iPhones/Androids and create tethered HotSpots
for peer-to-peer communication, a normal WiFi network *should* work if you haven't enabled
any type of wireless client isolation (clients on same AP wlan).  Check your Networks, edit
WLAN, advanced options, Others page to be sure no check for Client isolation on AP or LAN.

martin_goodwin_
New Contributor III
Thank you I have been working from same page. Wireless client isolation is untucked on that page. Hotspots is a short term fix but only supports up to 5 clients apparently and they need 30 connected and would prefer it to be through ruckus.

Do I need to undo yesterday's commands do you think ?
Just to say I really do appreciate your support