cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R850 - Strange TX Power Issues

Vanquisher
New Contributor II

I seemingly am trying to figure out why my R850s are transmitting at such a lower power level. Both are spaced apart at a good distance and there is very little interference on the channels they are on. They are only transmitting at 10dbm on DFS channels which seems incredibly low for the US when the power allowed is I believe 23DBM. They have in the past been transmitting at 22dbm but are now stuck at 10dbm.

Throughput after I noticed the transmit power drop on these on the download side has dropped off considerably, it seems to be capped or struggling at around 650-700MBPS on 2x2 Wifi6 devices. Same room I always used to be able to get 800/800 easily.

Environment:

• Running latest version of Unleashed
  • APs are powered by a POE++ Switch (Engenius ECS5512FP) at the full 5GBE backhaul. The AP detects it's powered by a bt switch as it sets that power level. LLDP is on.

Troubleshooting Steps:

• Tried a different switch with ++ power and it made no difference to the transmit power (10dbm only).
  • I tried overriding the TX power in unleashed and I set it incrementally up by 3 settings from -10dbm to full. It made NO difference to the AP transmit power. It would not change from 10dbm.
  • I verified it is in BT5 power mode via CLI. I also set BT5 power manually in Unleashed. No change to transmit power.
10 REPLIES 10

ishant_sharma_6
RUCKUS Team Member

Hello,

Please try to get into the CLI of access-point and hit the command "get power-mode" and please confirm if the power consumption status should be AT or BT5.

Just for your reference:

rkscli: get power-mode
PoE Configured Mode: AT
Power Consumption Status: 802.3at Switch/Injector
USB Status: Enabled
rkscli:

Regards,

Ishant Sharma

Ok both APs,

ruckus(ap-mode)# get power-mode
PoE Configured Mode : bt5
Power Consumption Status : 802.3bt5 Switch/Injector
USB Status : Disabled
OK

I tried setting it to override it to BT power in Unleashed as well. I did that in conjuction with trying to adjust the TX power up and down in Unleashed to see if I could notice a difference. The AP transmitted 10dbm no matter if it was set to -10dbm or full. It's like adjusting the tx power has NO effect on the ap at all.

CRSR
New Contributor III

This is also my issue.  Purchased 14 R850's, using Unleashed 200.10.10.5.253.  Took a massive effort to get the APs to eventually negotiate proper 802.3bt mode to my POE++/BT compatible switch in auto mode, but even then the power output on the switch will not go any higher than 13 watts (when it can deliver 90 watts).  In idle I can see the AP's consuming about 10-11 watts.  Forcing bt mode makes no difference to the power in the GUI or ap-mode cli.  It will make the power warning disappear but its only a cosmetic effect.

CLI shows:

rkscli: get power-mode
PoE Configured Mode : Auto
Power Consumption Status : 802.3bt5 Switch/Injector
USB Status : Enabled
rkscli: get lldp pse
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LLDP neighbors:
Interface: eth1, via: LLDP, RID: 1, Time: 0 day, 00:06:18
Chassis:
ChassisID: mac 18:5a:58:5c:5e:20
SysName: mps-ws1-idf3
SysDescr: Dell EMC Networking N3208PX-ON, 6.7.1.15, Linux 4.15.18-d60bb35b
MgmtIP: 10.10.0.12
Capability: Bridge, on
Capability: Router, off
Port:
PortID: ifname Gi1/0/5
PortDescr: Gi1/0/5
MDI Power: supported: yes, enabled: yes, pair control: no
Device type: PSE
Power pairs: signal
Class: class 4
Power type: 2
Power Source: PSE
Power Priority: critical
PD requested power Value: 60000
PSE allocated power Value: 60000
UPOE: 0
OK
SWITCH:

mps-ws1-idf3#show power inline gi1/0/5

Port Powered Device State Priority Status Class Power[mW]
(Measured/Assigned)
--------- ------------------------ ----- -------- ---------- -------------------- ---------
Gi1/0/5 auto Critical On Class4/Class8 11300

Overload Counter............................... 0
Short Counter ................................. 0
Denied Counter................................. 0
Absent Counter................................. 0
Invalid Signature Counter...................... 0
Output Voltage (Volts)......................... 54
Output Current (mAmps)......................... 209
Temperature (C)................................ 46

There is definitely an issue going on here, as our performance is horrible compared to when we were using R700's.  I just purchased the official Ruckus injectors but from another post on here, that also made no difference.  Are all the R650/750/850's just defective and unable to use the full POE power?  Is there a hidden ap-mode command to actually FORCE it to use the power?