cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoor Mesh Setup - Root-AP rebooting - Mesh-APs disapearing

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
Hi,

i have a Ruckus Unleashed Mesh Network running with 9x T300 APs.
Firmware is up-to-date.
There is a huge parking area with about 12 IP Network Cameras. To connect the Cameras to the cabled Network and to the Storage where the recordings are stored, we used this Mesh-Network.
There are 2x Root-APs and 7x Mesh-APs. 3x Mesh-APs connecting to one Root-AP. The other 4x APs connecting to the other.

Customer told me, the Systems seems to be unstable.
Sometimes one Root-AP reboots and some Mesh-APs disapearing.

I checked the Logs and did not get any helpful information for me.
What i have seen is, that my Master (which is also a Root-AP) rebooted today and two days before. Strange Thing is it happend to the exact same time (02:06 AM).
The Logs say "warm boot successfully, last reboot reasion [application reboot]".

Any ideas why the reboot is happening?
Any other helpful information why my Root-APs rebooting?

Thanks and kind regards
Marco
8 REPLIES 8

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
Additional Information:
I checked the AP logs as well.
I realized the Root-AP has a CPU Load between 40 and 92%. Don't know if this play any Role. I think it is by design that the Master-AP has more CPU Load than the other APs.
Also following Reboot reasion was given:
reboot reason       : application reboot
reboot details      : election: The mesh type of master is not ROOT AP.

I collected some more Information.
It seems following happends.
On one day at 02:06 AM the Master reboots and the other Root-AP with Standby-Master-Role will be the new Master. Next Day at 02:06 AM the (new) Master reboots again and the Master Role is switching again.
On both APs the same reboot reasion is listed.

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
For me it seems the Master, who is the Root-AP at the same time, is changing his Status from Root-AP to Non-Root-AP. Because a Non-Root-AP is not able to be a Master an Election Process is starting.

Maybe the Firewall (Default Gateway) has a daily Reboot configured.
Because i don't have Access to the Firewall i just configured a periodic Ping with Timestamp to check if there is a reboot of the Default Gateway.

Maybe this is the Problem.
We will see tommorrow.

marco_eichstet1
Contributor III
So there is a Feedback for this.
There is a daily scheduled Reboot of the Firewall (Default Gateway). So my Master-AP seems to believe he is no Root-AP and is change his Role to Mesh-AP. Because a Mesh-AP cannot be the Master, the AP starts to reboot.
This is, what i think happends within my setup.

This also means, if the Firewall Admin do a Firmware Update of his Firewall and do a reboot, my Ruckus Unleashed Mesh Network will be disturbed, too. Ok, the reboot will take only some Minutes. But of the Firewall gets broken it will take maybe some days to recover the Device.

I think an AP checks if he can reach the Default Gateway over his cabled Connection to decide if he is a Root-AP or a Mesh-AP.
Maybe it is possible to add a second IP (a Server or other Device which is running 24/7) for checking. So if the Firewall is broken/down, my Mesh Network will not be down. Feature Request?

Thanks.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Good morning Marco,

We've just released Unleashed 200.2 (GA) into production, and the cloud upgrade
server will upgrade your Unleashed network to version 200.2.9.13.186.  We have now
adapted the Master/Standby-Master functionality, with a simpler election model for one
Master AP and all others being Members.  This election model will consider MAP vs
RAP status of your APs.  Define a Management IP address that all APs know, to keep
web browser access in case your Master AP ever gets rebooted.

Please see the What's New and Release Notes, with Quick Start Guides for each
Unleashed AP (added R710, T710, T710s), and you can find individual AP versions on
the Downloads page, if you don't have an Internet connection to upgrade, as Unleashed
200.2 now has Local as well as Online upgrade options.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/products/82-unleashed

Unleashed 200.2 Online Help:
http://docs.ruckuswireless.com/unleashed/200.2/index.html