cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification when client connects or disconnects? Or log of weekly connection / disconnection activity?

grant_pinkos
New Contributor

Hi.  We have about 10 people whose phones connect to our Ruckus Wireless ZoneFlex R310 Unleashed Indoor Access Point (9U1-R310-US02).  Is there way for me to be notified (email or something else) with a timestamp when someone connects or disconnects to the network?  It can be just the MAC address of their phone and the time connected / disconnected.

If the above is not possible, can I download a log of the connection activity (showing date & time)?

If it helps, I would be willing to purchase the Ruckus IoT server since that might be another way of getting this info, but I am not sure if the R310 works with the Ruckus IoT server.

6 REPLIES 6

If you are ready to get e-mails about each user connection, than your network isn't really used much... any decently loaded network can generate hundreds of e-mails about user association per day.

I would say you have to make your mind, what do you want. Do you want that your users use network or better not? If you provide credentials  to connect, you should be more concerned about failed connections.

Access to network always  must be secured, and it's easy to do using DPSK, for example.

@Dave:  Your instructions work, but seemingly only when I deliberately connect or disconnect from the AP.  For example, when I drive away (out of wifi range), I would expect an email notification, but this does not happen.

@eizens_putnins:  This is not for users to use the network (I will set up rules that block all access).  The dedicated email account to receive the notifications will not be checked by a human.  Emails will be parsed and logged into a timesheet using Node-RED.  So the "act" of someone's phone connecting (or disconnecting) to a dedicated wifi AP would be akin to a person clocking in or out.

If anyone has a better idea for using the Ruckus AP features to do what I have outlined above, I would like to hear it.