cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way for the guest network on the Ruckus Unleashed to not have the Captive Portal appear at all?

alvin_siu
New Contributor

Hi,

Networking newbie here and I apologize if I get some terms or concepts wrong about certain things.

To give a little background, I work for a start up and our network infrastructure is quite simple. We do however have a main switch, firewall and APs, but their setup is very basic. 

What I am trying to do is create a guest network for personal phones and ipads instead of it joining our main network where it's all mixed up with our computers and other devices.

I love how the Ruckus AP has a guest network section and it even configures the restricted subnet accesses automatically

Image_ images_messages_60adcd7cb706e8535ffe522b_a01757491c108387fc73464363cac810_ruckusrestrictedsubnetaccess-1e427cc2-1f46-4c4d-adb9-e214539acd85-745332576.png

But with the guest network, if we are using it for our personal phones and ipads, the captive portal appears everytime you connect to it, so my question is if there is a setting where I can completely remove that part and only have a password on there where users can connect to it on a daily basis without having to agree to the terms and conditions everytime OR is there a way to set up a standard network wifi with the restricted subnet access settings like the guest network does. Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor

Hi Alvin,

You've not said which Ruckus platform you're using, is it Unleashed?

The kind of network you're discussing is not so much 'guest', which usually requires a captive portal, but more so 'BYOD' (Bring Your Own Device), which requires enhanced security/separation but not an intrusive captive portal.

I'd recommend having a separate WLAN (SSID) for your BYOD devices and simply enabling a few mechanisms which prevent these devices from accessing local network resources and any mischievous activities.  On a 'Standard' network configuration (not guest) I'd suggest enabling the following:

• Force DHCP
  • Wireless Client Isolation (both options)

These options will prevent BYOD users from accessing LAN resources, each other and setting a manual static IP address which could conflict with other devices on the network.

I hope that helps!
Darrel.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor

Hi Alvin,

You've not said which Ruckus platform you're using, is it Unleashed?

The kind of network you're discussing is not so much 'guest', which usually requires a captive portal, but more so 'BYOD' (Bring Your Own Device), which requires enhanced security/separation but not an intrusive captive portal.

I'd recommend having a separate WLAN (SSID) for your BYOD devices and simply enabling a few mechanisms which prevent these devices from accessing local network resources and any mischievous activities.  On a 'Standard' network configuration (not guest) I'd suggest enabling the following:

• Force DHCP
  • Wireless Client Isolation (both options)

These options will prevent BYOD users from accessing LAN resources, each other and setting a manual static IP address which could conflict with other devices on the network.

I hope that helps!
Darrel.

Darrel...you are the MAN!! I would have never figured these settings myself, thank you for saving me! I created another SSID with the settings you recommended and I wasnt able to ping and access LAN resources and devices that are on the same subnet. Thanks a bunch!

You're more than welcom Alvin!  Our aim is for you to be a happy Ruckus customer and advocate our equipment and products to other businesses.

I'd be grateful if you can give my response a like and 'Mark as Accepted Answer'.

Best,
Darrel.