cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware issue with Unleashed 200.7.10.X ... upload and download speeds are flipped

hayward_kong
Contributor III
This message for the Ruckus support team and unleashed software developers:

Apparently, there is an issue with firmware 200.7.10.x which not only affects R710, R610, R510 unleashed.  With firmware 200.7.10.x....upload and download speeds are pretty much flipped when testing with Speedflex app and other methods of testing. It apparently affect iOS devices 802.11ac for sure and from some other users using a Samsung S10.  This issue does not only affect me and my clients who have ruckus R710, R610, and R510s. Other users on this forum have this issue. The uploads speeds are very high, but the download speeds are very slow. Only way to address this issue is to roll back to firmware 200.6.10.x. Please fix this issue soon.
14 REPLIES 14

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
The bug ID is ER-7956, and the fix for 200.8 Unleashed is expected before the end of this month.

Hi Michael , do you know if there will be a firmware Fix update for the r500 and r600 in unleashed firmware 200.7x series? Not sure if the bug also impacts those series since it behaves in a slightly different way since there is some major performance issues when comparing 200.6.x and 200.7.x but only when you get further away and have two walls in between.

R500 with unleashed firmware 200.6.x tested on IPad Pro 2018 with iperf3
6-7 foot away from AP
upload average high 380 mbps
download average high 380 mbps

Two walls with Lead base paint underneath current paint.
Upload average 180 mbps
download average 320 mbps

with unleashed 200.7.10.202.94
6-7 foot away from AP
upload average high 420mbps
download average high 420mbps

Two walls with Lead base paint underneath current paint.
Upload average: 64 mbps. -<—— concern
download average 250 mbps

Yes I live in a place that is very RF challenging.
I’m more concerned with the uploads when using 200.7.10.202.94 and why such a drastic change. I’m hoping it’s the same bug that’s been affect the wave 2 APs..

So would you know if they will come out with one more firmware update to fix those bugs in 200.7.x series firmware for the r500 and r600?

philip_march
New Contributor III
In the meantime, while we wait (and hope) for a firmware fix that works, here is the current workaround:

1) Downgrade the APs to 200.6.10.1.312 (download from Ruckus and select as manual upgrade).

2) Confirm APs are negotiating 802.3at not 802.af PoE.  (Assuming PoE source is PoE+.). If APs fail to negotiate 802.3at, speeds will be crippled - particularly the R720.  If needed, force the APs to 802.3at via command line.  (instructions available from Ruckus website, or I can provide)

Kudos to Basavaraj in Ruckus TAC for working with me for many hours of testing to get to the above temporary solution. 

Still baffling to me how this problem made it out the door for two major firmware releases why there was no knowledge base with support for a workaround.  A black eye for Ruckus engineering.  I hope they can rebuild the trust they had previously.

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
An updated Unleashed 200.8 will be available before the end of the month.
We introduced the "issue" when incorporating a security fix, and will havenew ZD maintenance releases (tomorrow), and SZ/Solo AP updates soon.

So was the issue introduced first in unleashed firmware 200.5.x firmware? Just wondering that my regressing testing nailed it between 200.4.x and 200.5.x? Where things started to slow down.