cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARC dscp and WMM(TOS) dscp Inconsistency.

jungyu_park
New Contributor III

Hi.

I am using R610 & Unleashed 200.10.10.5.246 firmware.
I discovered the ARC function, and it seems to be a technology that utilizes the dpi of QOSMOS.

It worked pretty well in my tests (google drive, youtube and etc) so I moved the dscp marking rules I was using on my windows 10 laptop to ARC.
ARC is a pretty attractive feature to me because it can be easily used with mobile smartphones and tablets.

In Android, it is difficult to set dscp or tos marking unless the app has a function.

ARC uses the following dscp values ​

voice : cs6 / video : af41 / best effort : cs0 / background : af11

and this works fine but strangely, when I set the same dscp marking on the router in front of the AP, it is applied differently to the wmm queue.

The problem is:

ARC vocie: cs6 > voice queue

router cs6 > voice queue (OK)

ARC video: af41 > video queue
router af41 > best effort (Wrong)

ARC best effort: cs0 > best effort
router cs0 > best effort (OK)

ARC background: af11 > background
router af11 > best effort (wrong)

I checked whether the packets in the queue are properly classified using the command below.

remote_ap_cli -A "get mqstats wlan32 all"

The question is, does ARC behave differently than TOS?

It uses different values set in the TOS, but they are categorized properly.

The TOS values of Ruckus AP are

ToS Classification-Voice = 0xE0 0xC0 0xB8
ToS Classification-Video = 0xA0 0x80
ToS Classification-Data = 0x0
ToS Classification-Background = 0x0

Voice is cs7 cs6 ef / video is cs5 cs4 / data and background are set to default values ​​(none, cs0).

Shouldn't the firmware match the values ​​of ARC and TOS?
I'm using them by manually typing.

tos classification video 0xA0,0x80,0x88
tos classification background 0x28

5 REPLIES 5

Sounds really interesting. I  really see the very first time, when QOS is used to improve experience for heavy home user.  So from description I can understand that in your situation bottleneck is local network, not Internet part, in which case using QOS to prioritize traffic on local network (as you can't use QOS on Internet) really can help. 

It can be that improvement of Internet infrastructure makes it common situation, so I really became interested to check if similar configuration on business networks will improve experience. I'll make changes on configuration of some networks and check if it will have desired effect. 

Thanks that you shared your experience, it is very interesting topic...