cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lock a devive to a certain access point

qais_chaudry
New Contributor II
I have two r510 and two t300. I need to lock some devices to the closest access points. Could someone please tell me how to do this.
4 REPLIES 4

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Qais,

There is no way to lock a device to their closest APs but you can try a few things.

1- If these devices are stationery and will not move to a different area then you may create a new SSID and broadcast to just closest AP to that device (Though it is a possible way but not recommended as it is not scalable. You may have to create multiple SSIDs if you have many devices. If you have just one or two such devices then you may try this).
2- If you increase BSS min rate value for a specific WLAN, then it will help clients to connect to their nearby APs. Refer below article for more details.
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000001657
3- Enabling smart-roam will also force clients to connect to their nearest APs. Refer below article for more information.
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000002277

Some queries:

1- Was a pre or post site survey done, before or after deploying these APs?
2- What is the gapping/spacing between the APs?
3- What type of environment it is, home/office/warehouse/etc.?
4- Are these APs managed by a controller or running as standalone APs?
5- What is the firmware versions?

In most of the cases, a site survey is the key for optimized performance and coverage.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

qais_chaudry
New Contributor II
Hello Omer,

This is very good information. I will try the simple fix first by creating a new ssid and see if that works.

The questions your asked: 

1. Yes, there was a walk around and all the APs were checked for coverage. 

2 They are 100 foot apart approximately. 

3. It is a two story home 3600 sq foot. 

4. Out of the 4 APs, one is the management/master.

5. Two are two r510 with 200.6.10.1.312 version inside the house, upstairs and down stairs, the downstairs one is the master. Outside are two t300 with 200.6.10.1.312 version.

I cannot open article:
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000001657

Is there another article that shows how to change the BSS? 

Thank you for the help.

-qais

Hi Qais,

I am able to access the link. It is a premium content so if you don't have premium premium access then you may not be able to access.

What error you are getting?

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

qais_chaudry
New Contributor II
Hello,

I get:

We're sorry, but something went wrong.We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly.

Would you be able to cut and paste the info so i can try it? or email me the info please. Thank you.

-qais