cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius server unreachable events

david_henderson
Contributor II
vSZ version 5.2.0.0.699 with 411 R710s APs on campus. Every few days we are getting a bunch of radius server unreachable events. What is odd is the details of the event do not even point to our radius server. All events are reported like this

AP [Int301@F8:E7:1E:2A:A4:40] is unable to reach radius server [127.0.0.1].

Of course 127.0.0.1 is not our radius server. We are using Cloudpath as our radius server. Our wifi is rock solid so there are no other symptoms other than a rash of these events every few days.

Any ideas what causes this?
63 REPLIES 63

prairie_south_s
New Contributor

Sorry to dig up the dead, but I've been from one end of the web to the other looking for this.

I upgraded from 3.6.2.0.250 to 5.2.2.0.317.  I now have the same problem, randomly getting hammered with these controller notifications with corresponding Reason Code 1: Internal error occurred on my NPS, as well as error code 6274.  Never saw this particular notification from my wireless controllers prior to the 3.6.2.0.250 to 5.2.2.0.317 upgrade.

I am running 2 NPS servers for Ruckus, one primary and one secondary backup. I have both Cisco and Ruckus wireless in my environment (been migrating from Cisco to Ruckus for some time, different physical locations entirely). I have never seen this happen on Cisco wireless gear, only my Ruckus access points.

This began immediately after upgrading to the 5.2.2.0.317 release.

We can only hope that somewhere along the line Ruckus gets this right.

geoff_mattey
New Contributor

I feel your pain, we upgraded our Firmware and that gave us loads of Server Unreachable errors, tried to persevere with Ruckus Support and get it fixed, but it became silly, so rolled back to the previous version and all is working again !

Good luck. 

I am running vSZ 6.0.0.0.1331 and have not experiencing any Server Unreachable errors. v6 is also more intuitive and the interface is less 'laggy'.

@geoff_mattey what version did you downgrade to? 3.6.2?

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

To avoid this error you need correct AP firmware version with patch. Correct AP firmware version means same or newer system version. For example, vSZ with 5.2.1.0.515 and patch installed (AP firmware 5.2.1.0.1038) will not have this error messages.

If you have some vSZ zones with lower firmware version, than you'll have this errors from this zones APs even after upgrade. If you have APs not supported on 5.2, than you need to use 3.6.2.

For me it was not possible to stay on 3.6.2, as I have switches to manage, so I upgraded from 3.6.2 long ago.   Radius error is annoying, but at least it seems to not affect client connections at all.  Actually, as much as I understand, there are at least 3 different problems - one (minor) is accepting some request attributes, unsupported by NPS, another  (main) -- reporting errors with connection to Radius on loopback address 127.0.0.1, and the third -- reporting Radius errors for some seemingly random addresses (which may actually not be random, but used by Ruckus cloud setup). But in all cases this errors are not preventing users from authenticating with valid Radius server.