cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius server unreachable events

david_henderson
Contributor II
vSZ version 5.2.0.0.699 with 411 R710s APs on campus. Every few days we are getting a bunch of radius server unreachable events. What is odd is the details of the event do not even point to our radius server. All events are reported like this

AP [Int301@F8:E7:1E:2A:A4:40] is unable to reach radius server [127.0.0.1].

Of course 127.0.0.1 is not our radius server. We are using Cloudpath as our radius server. Our wifi is rock solid so there are no other symptoms other than a rash of these events every few days.

Any ideas what causes this?
63 REPLIES 63

eightohtwoeleve
Contributor III
We get the same thing, except for it does show the correct RADIUS server (Windows NPS) in the message as well as we are on vSZ 5.1.2.

We have noticed that VM stun occurs sometimes when backups are being performed, but it will at other random times show APs that are unable to reach the server.

dave_watkins_74
Contributor
We're seeing the same thing. All our Radius requests are proxied through the vSZ so there shouldn't even be radius processing on our AP's. It _appears_ to be causing radius server failovers for us but it's not anything the end user notices and we're busy enough at the moment I haven't had time to dig any further into it.

It started at the time we upgraded to 5.2.0.0.699 so is a bug in that code (or the relevent AP code) I'd say.

eightohtwoeleve
Contributor III
After upgrading to 5.2.0.0.699, we are seeing the same thing as well. It's not causing a server fail-over because we don't see attempted RADIUS connections on our secondary server (we log and graph this).

david_henderson
Contributor II
This past Sunday, April 12th starting at 2:20am and continuing to 12:45pm (about 10 hours) I received well over 8,000 emails from the controller about radius server unreachable events. These are scattered across nearly all of our APs (411 total) which are located in 6 separate buildings, attached so 22 different switch stacks. These email stopped Sunday afternoon. I then opened a ticket with Ruckus on this. Working the ticket now, no resolution yet