cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasional heartbeat losses on R710?

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Over the past few days, I've noticed that maybe every other day, my R710 seems to lose network connectivity. The CTL light starts flashing, and ZoneDirector says R710: Heartbeats Lost.

Upon investigation, it seems like I can ping the ZD just fine, but I can't ping the R710's IP. Eventually, the R710 initiates a reboot due to loss of contact and it comes back online just fine. I've tried replacing the cabling and moving the R710 to a different switch port. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Are there any known issues with ZD 9.12.1 MR1 Refresh and lost heartbeats? It seems to be specific to the R710, as I've had the R700 on the exact same port and PoE injector with no issues for almost a year.
13 REPLIES 13

I have experienced same issue.

Especially R710 have met many "heartbeat lost" issue.

I thought when it connected 802.3af POE, it happens more issue.

Although We configure to PoE af mode on ZD, it happens constantly heartbeat loss.

When We connected POE injector, its symptom was less happend.

Regards. 

john_d
Valued Contributor II
I've been using a POE injector, and honestly, it was not exactly the world's most expensive PoE injector (got a well-rated one off Amazon).... but I have powered maybe 10 other Ruckus AP's with the exact same one with no issues. Maybe the R710 is pushing it to its limits.

FWIW, I can't explain why, but after factory-resetting and reprovisioning, I've yet to have any heartbeat lost issues in almost a week, when it used to be almost a daily occurrence out of the blue. Perhaps it's worth a shot for you?

Hey John,

Heartbeat Loss is very common on all AP's, as the heatbeat sometimes gets dropped a lot when the AP is under load, and if its under load for a long time, then it may reboot based on your config.

My home network has an r700, r500 and r710 and I see heatbeat loss alarms all the time (I also see it at work and we have around 30,000 AP's deployed)

Try setting the reboot timeout value to a higher number than the default, say 30mins, and see if that improves things.

Michael Brado,

Can you elaborate on the below question that you asked?
"re there Chromebooks with Intel ac-7260s present, which may be causing the AP radios to reset?"

For months I have been battling WiFi issues of slow performance and disconnects across a variety of products.  Two particular model laptops, and some Chromebooks.  Until just now, I did not recognize the commonality across all is that they ALL use Intel 7260 AC adapters.
We seem to get slight improvement using a newer driver on the laptops, but have no control over the Chromebooks.

Is there a known issue with the r710 Ap's and Intel 7260 cards?

Zonedirector 3000   Firmware:9.12.1.0 build 148

As mentioned, we have mostly new r710's with a few 7982's.

Any and all assistance would be appreciated.

Kevin Peck
Timberlane Regional School District

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Hi Kevin,

Of course, Michael will be more knowledgeable about this problem, but in the other thread about Intel 7260's, it sounds like  the originator said that 9.12.2 made that issue substantially better. I've personally found that the R710 on 9.12.2 seems to solve my connectivity issues on R710 too. Hopefully that turns out to be your solution too.

I was surprised that it wasn't called out in the 9.12.2 release notes that it included some connectivity fixes or R710 fixes, but based off the experiences of multiple users as well as what Michael and Sid have said on this forum, it seems like 9.12.2 might be your solution too!

John