cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasional heartbeat losses on R710?

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Over the past few days, I've noticed that maybe every other day, my R710 seems to lose network connectivity. The CTL light starts flashing, and ZoneDirector says R710: Heartbeats Lost.

Upon investigation, it seems like I can ping the ZD just fine, but I can't ping the R710's IP. Eventually, the R710 initiates a reboot due to loss of contact and it comes back online just fine. I've tried replacing the cabling and moving the R710 to a different switch port. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Are there any known issues with ZD 9.12.1 MR1 Refresh and lost heartbeats? It seems to be specific to the R710, as I've had the R700 on the exact same port and PoE injector with no issues for almost a year.
13 REPLIES 13

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Are there Chromebooks with Intel ac-7260s present, which may be causing the AP radios to reset?

If ZD managed, enter your AP's MAC address in the box on the Administer/Diagnostics, Debug logs, with Access Points checked.
If you can save debug shortly after an event, TSE can help interpret the AP_logs portion of the ZD debug file to help identify the
cause of your R710 behavior.

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Thanks, Michael. No chromebooks here, but I was able to save a debug log right as it happened today. Opened a support case with the logs (00353691)

Hopefully it helps with troubleshooting. It unfortunately results in a network outage for all the devices connected to the R710 for 30 minutes until the AP self-reboots.

Ugly workaround, but you can lower than 30 minutes number in the Zonedirector. It's under Configure -> Access Points. Certainly far from ideal but it might help until the cause it found. Something worth checking perhaps, it's not negotiating into the high power POE mode and overloading your switches POE capability just?

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Tech support had me factory-reset and reprovision the AP, which appeared to make the problem go away (much to my disbelief... It's off topic, but it felt under the category of IT voodoo that never works)

At any rate, just to be extra safe, I got a different POE injector and swapped the AP with one that's plugged into a known-good port, to see if the problem follows any of the equipment.