Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have more than 512 address in ZD 1200

ait_el_fquih_el
New Contributor II

4 REPLIES 4

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Not enough info... but I'll take a guess.  A ZoneDirector is a WLAN controller hanging off your network,
and is designed for use with an Internet Router, DHCP server, FireWall, etc on your LAN.  You should
use switches that can support VLANs, so you don't let client devices on your ZD/AP network.  

But if you "trust" everyone not to try and get into your ZD, you *can* use the built-in DHCP server (meant
mostly for AP addresses, but can support Clients too if you don't assign a VLAN other than 1, in your
WLAN configuration.

The /24 subnet that the ZD is in, can be used for DHCP (from Configure/System/DHCP Server) and is
limited to 254 IP addresses, of which one must be your ZD and one must be your Def-GW Router.

ait_el_fquih_el
New Contributor II
thank-you for your prompt response,
even if I use the /16 subnet I find myself limited to the numbers of the adesses ip that can serve the DHCP server integrated (512).
Is there a way to distribute more than 512 since the controller's DHCP?

The controller's DHCP server is not intended for Enterprise business use, but to help provision APs on the controller untagged management VLAN 1.

If you have more than 200 clients, you should use a Router, designed to serve clients in a bigger network environment, and you should put clients
on a different VLAN/subnet than your controller/APs, if you want a secure best-practice design.

thank you very much.