cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonjour Gateway Policies questions

clayton_taverni
Contributor
We have a SmartZone controller.

If I have a wired vlan (vlan 10) and a wireless vlan (vlan 20) and I'm creating new Bridge Services (like AppleTV), do I have to have a rule for 10 -> 20 AND a rule for 20 -> 10?  

And if my wireless is split (vlan 20 & 30), do I need six rules now (10 -> 20, 20 -> 10, 10 -> 30, 30 -> 10, 20 -> 30, 30 -> 20)?

If I have multiple sites with different wired vlans (10, 11, 12, etc.), is there a way to clone the policy from one site to the next and change the wired vlan?

Is there a list of "Other" Bridge Services that are useful?  I know about "_googlecast._tcp." but I'm wondering if there are more.

Sorry for all the questions.  My boss, who set this up and knew a lot more about it, left and now I'm trying to resolve some printing issues.  We have PCs, Macs and Chromebooks trying to print to a wide assortment of old and new printers.
3 REPLIES 3

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Create the bridge service statements FROM the VLAN with the service (ie AppleTV), and TO the client VLAN(s) you want to share them with.
You do not need to make an equivalent reverse statements.

If your AppleTVs are all on wired VLAN 10, and you want them visible to both client VLANs 20 and 30.
Create one with 10->20, and one with 10->30.

Same concept if you have AirPrinters, from the VLAN they're on, to the VLAN(s) you need users to see them.

I think I understand.  If some of my Apple TVs are wired and some are wireless, to allow both wired and wireless clients to see them, I'll need 10 -> 20 and 20 -> 10, right?

If I'm unsure about which way to go, does it hurt anything to go both ways?

If you want the Wireless (vlan 20) clients to see your Wired (vlan 10) AppleTVs, yes, one from 10 to 20.
If you have AppleTVs on the Wireless (VLAN 20) and want your wired (or Wireless VLAN 10) clients to see those, yes, one from 20 to 10 too.

It will not hurt to have bridge services setup for the opposite directions (but is only necessary from service host VLAN to client VLAN(s)).