cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7761 Power over Cable

user845984
New Contributor II
Hi

I am trying to commission an old 7761-CM the client has sourced, apparently taken from a commercial environment, in a large home environment but am unclear on the power requirement.

I can see that it accepts power over coaxial cable, 40-90v AC but I am not a commercial installer so am unsure how to "inject" that into the coaxial cable. The AP will not be used as a cable modem but connected via CAT6 to a ZoneDirector.

Can anyone help me understand what I need to do to get power to it without blow it, or myself, up?

Marc
3 REPLIES 3

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
marc

i see from datasheet that it can also be powered via POE -- power over ethernet.and its has ONE ethernet port which supports POE.

• 10/100 Mbps Power over Ethernet (802.3af) output

You can get a compatible POE jnjector or POE switch to have this powered ON in simpler fashion..

user845984
New Contributor II
I think that's only the 7762, right? The 7761 has, as you say, the ability to power external POE devices via it's output, but I am not sure it can be powered by POE.

It seems a power passing tap is what I need, although I have never used one of these....

Am I wrong?

slasher_6634965
New Contributor II
Just get a transformer providing anywhere between 45-90v and solder its output to a coax cable, then connect it to the access point coax input. Works like a charm.