cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a new modem require reconfiguration of WAP's?

david_austin_k6
New Contributor III
I have a Lennar smart home that came with three Ruckus ZoneFlex R510 WAP's and a Brocade ICX 7150-C12P switch. Amazon, whom Lennar contracted with to final install/setup all of this provides absolutely no support beyond the initial 90 days after install; i am about 26 months post-install. 

I know just enough about this stuff to screw it all up.  I have an old (~8 years) Cisco cable modem and a fairly new Linksys router.  I have been having issues with extremely slow broadband and my cable company (Cox) is telling me that my modem is going bad and I need to replace it.  Their option for modem will not fit in a smart panel, so I am looking at an Arris SURFoard SBG8300 modem/router combo. 

I know that the slow speeds are probably attributed mostly to the Covid-19 BS and everyone is home using their service, slowing it down for everyone.  Having said that, it probably wouldn't be bad to upgrade my modem anyway. 

Would I just be able to connect everything, use the same SSID and passwords and have everything work?  Is my ignorance making you guys laugh?  Haha.  Any input would be appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

I have all the credentials for the router and and Ruckus devices.  The Linksys router was not part of the original build; I brought it from my old house as it was new and Amazon installed it when they set everything up.  

I logged into the router and the only IP addresses I see are the 192.168.x.x and a range of them for a total of 55 users, so I don't know about a public IP.

Are you able to access the webpage of the modem itself? Try browsing to 192.168.100.1 (most cablemodems will open a webpage at this address even if in bridge mode). You can see the signal levels in the status page usually.. but I agree that's very rarely the cablemodem going bad "gradually". At least you can check your signal levels there and it could be as simple as replacing an old coax splitter for example (or if there is a power amplifier it could very much be that). 

What should the levels be?  My down shows between 3.7 to 4.4 dBmv over the eight channels with SNR of 39.7 to 40.1 dB. Up shows 43.2 on all channels but one, which is 43.0.

Those levels seem to be ok. Actually quite good for downstream. I'm currently at -8.5dBmV down and 47.2 up

I seriously doubt it's your modem.

If you have a spare port on the modem and connect with your laptop directly to it do you get an IP? What IP? Cause if the modem is in routed mode it should give you an IP and you can maybe get rid of the Linksys to remove one device.

Also, maybe try doing some speedtest / pings late at night to see if it changes with congestion.

I think my cable company is just telling me it's my modem to get me off the phone complaining about the slow broadband speeds I'm getting.  It's fine right now, but come 6pm, it'll be less than 2mbps.  Right now, it's around 100.  I pay for 150.

I think I am going to let things be for the time being.  Thank you for your help!