cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus ICX7150-C12 Switch is frequently dropping internet connection

darkcoffee243
New Contributor

I own a Lennar home that comes with a pre-installed Ruckus ICX7150-C12. I never had issues with the internet connection from the switch until a Spectrum agent came over to my house to replace their modem with another one. Since then, any connection via the ruckus switch, either through ethernet or the unleash wireless access points, has been unstable. Unstable, meaning my browser failing to find the DNS server, videos not loading, etc. My router, a TP-link AC1750, is connected in between the ruckus switch and modem and has no problems connecting to the internet. I've tried resetting the Ruckus Switch via powercycling and factory resetting the TP-link router, but the issues still persist.

I also noticed that the Spectrum representative rearranged my cat6 cables that are connected from the router to the switch. I don't know why he did this, or what else he changed. Currently, the configurations are this: The modem's ethernet cable is connected to the router, and the router's ethernet cable is connected to one of the 10 numbers ethernet ports.

In short, the ruckus switch's connection to my internet has been poor ever since my modem was swapped out for another one. Resetting all three devices (switch, router, modem) doesn't seem to have helped.

27 REPLIES 27

@dylan_chun_wong Your instructions were exceptional. I have a new problem. After this morning's brief power outage, my switch reverted to the Router mode. I have tried restoring the PRI config and it does not switch back. Am I doing something wrong?

Image_ images_messages_60e32f98ee9adc58dd25c0a4_a8bae9f08577e4c03c0929fd83ccf684_01229856_07052021issue-831e4fec-f634-46fc-b969-70552c708569-1956491944.GIF

@ravi_ramakrishnan

Did you ever figure this out?  I am having the same issues

@jared_hughes I had to call Ruckus Support. They were awesome. It appears that my PRI config file was bad. They were able to rebuild it and then ensured that both my PRI and SEC configs were the same. So, now, if a power flick caused it change both are the configured to keep it in SWITCH mode. The switch is unlikely to be used as router in a Lennar Home.

It's been mentioned before but another solution if dylan's method doesn't work is to copy the primary image to the secondary memory. I had to wait on hold for over an hour, so I'll share the steps below if others are interested! 

-> Telnet into the IP address of the switch

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may have to enable telnet. You can do so by typing the switch IP into a browser and logging in with the same username and password. You'll then see a page with a navigation tree on the left. Click on 'General' under 'System' -> 'Management'. Click the 'Enable' next to TELNET and then 'Apply'.

-> Type 'en' (this gets you into admin mode)

-> Type 'show flash'

There will be a Compressed Pri Code ending in 211 and a Compressed Sec Code ending in 213. If both end in the same numbers, call support @ 877-676-8641

-> Type 'copy flash flash secondary'

This will flash secondary memory slot with primary data. Expect this to take a few mins and the GUI will show you the progress. 

-> Type 'wr mem'

This writes it to NVM

-> Type 'show flash'

Now, both pri and sec compressed codes should end in 211. 

-> Type 'reload' and press 'y'

This will restart the system and ensure that moving forward, the switch always boots as a switch and not as a router. 

Talking to the rep, this was a firmware bug in this particular model of the switch that Lennar installed in all our homes. The rep even went as far to say he didn't know why they released it with the bug which tells me they know about it beforehand but didn't fix it... 

Anyway, hope this helps! 

frank_mcmanus
New Contributor
Answers are using IT jargon and not helpful at all.