cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captive Portal integration is broken and next to useless

dara3
New Contributor III
The Ruckus Cloud Captive Portal integration appears tobe seriously ill conceived compared to everything else in the industry:

-No option to enable 'walled garden' for Captive Portal users(all protocols pass through the portal prior to authentication except for the HTTP which redirects to the currently useless login)
-The Captive Portal doesnt trigger the OS 'captive portal' pop-ups built into OSX, iOS, and Android. Users are only prompted with the screen if they attempt to go to an HTTP web page
-Anyone connected to the open wifi Captive Portal network will find they're able to navigate most of the world wide web because only HTTP requests are redirected. HTTPS requests are forwarded on.

Are there any plans to fix this? It is literally next to useless in its current form. If you're wondering what I was expecting, look to Meraki, or Open Mesh for some notes on what a Captive Portal should be doing.

Excuse the tone. I will gladly swallow my words and discontent if someone at Ruckus can actually demonstrate that this can work as expected.
6 REPLIES 6

john_hanay_hbjd
New Contributor II
Hello,

Thank you for your message and requirements. We greatly appreciate your input. Initial answers to your questions are below.

1. No option to enable 'walled garden' for Captive Portal users(all protocols pass through the portal prior to authentication except for the HTTP which redirects to the currently useless login)

Whitelisting the IP addresses or more importantly wildcard URLs is the approach we most likely will implement. Currently some of this is built into the system to support Social Login but we should expand this more broadly for the captive portal to give you greater control. 

2.  The Captive Portal doesn't trigger the OS 'captive portal' pop-ups built into OSX, iOS, and Android. Users are only prompted with the screen if they attempt to go to an HTTP web page Captive Portal

Request is understood. Current approach is unintentionally designed to circumvent the OS approach but we do understand the need to support this since it is a primary use case.

3.  Anyone connected to the open wifi Captive Portal network will find they're able to navigate most of the world wide web because only HTTP requests are redirected. HTTPS requests are forwarded on. 

This is also recognized as an important enhancement to the feature set for the captive portal and we do plan to address this limitation.

Again, many thanks for your feedback. Please let us know if you have any other ideas or input and we will use them as a mechanism to enhance the product.

Warm regards,

John Hanay
PLM - Ruckus Cloud

dara3
New Contributor III
Is there any tentative time frame for resolving these very basic features? We are at the stage where we're being forced to seriously consider gutting our Ruckus integration for something that can actually function in its intended use case.

I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating this might be given the clout we thought Ruckus Wireless had when we integrated it.

Cheers.

dara3
New Contributor III
I'm sorry to be so combative about this, but can someone help me understand how a company that was just purchased for $6 Billion dollars could get this basic functionally so horribly wrong?

Its great to hear that you plan on addressing these limitations, but can we get a time frame please?

You are driving customers and integrators like myself away from your product line because of the lack of customer support in key areas as it is.

This level of negligence for what is arguably a key market for you is not helping your case.

Restaurants chains, large coworking spaces, and small enterprises, are my primary clients, but I cant consider this product and its taking you a REALLY long time to develop this cloud platform.

I've referred three different spaces to you recently who were eventually called by someone, told they would get an access point and a follow up email. In every case, neither of these things happened.

Please understand that I'm taking time out of my day to write these messages and have detailed exchanges via email with your teams because I WANT to integrate this platform.

Your clients should not have to be fighting you to up your game to such a basic level.

john_hanay_hbjd
New Contributor II
Thank you for the message. Probably the best way to address your feedback is to have a phone call and we can review the product roadmap and discuss/prioritize the items so we can make progress. My email is jhanay@brocade.com

Many thanks,

John Hanay
PLM Ruckus Cloud