cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switches using Router code vs Switch code and decision making

dan_hogan_4ddkn
New Contributor II
Hi all,

When an ICX switch is on router code, is every packet a forwarding decision even if the ICX device is on a switched circuit on layer 2? If the ICX switch is not performing the routing, are we bound to the switching capacity or the forwarding capacity?
4 REPLIES 4

simon_pollard
Contributor II
Hi Dan

Switching capacity is the raw throughput of the switch expressed in Gbps. Forwarding capacity refers to the packet forwarding performance for 64 byte packets (64 bytes + 20 bytes inter-frame gap) expressed in pps. In a line-rate system the two values are equal, just expressed differently.

All Ruckus switches forward at line-rate whether operating in L2 or L3 configuration, so there is no performance trade-off in choosing one over the other, it's just a question of your feature requirements.

dan_hogan_4ddkn
New Contributor II
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply. Ultimately, I have a 150 Mbps circuit that I'm looking to put on a ICX 7150-24. With the current datasheet, It would appear that the 100/1000 port would easily handle the uplink port, would you agree that the 7150-24 would be the correct hardware for the job?

Thanks!

simon_pollard
Contributor II
Hi Dan

How is the 150Mbps circuit presented; via a 1G connection that is rate-limited to 150M? If so then the 7150-24 will cope with this easily.

What other functionality do you need?

dan_hogan_4ddkn
New Contributor II
Hi Simon,

I believe so. We will be utilizing a second circuit of 50 x 50 as well on another port to load balance between two ISP's, that is the only other functionality we are looking into