cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting 7150-c12p directly to modem while in router mode

praveen_gunda
New Contributor

My current configuration of ruckus icx 7150-c12p is, ISP modem -> router -> ruckus icx 7150-c12p -> AP.

I feel router is adding additional latency so I want to try without out router, then I came across the following blog:

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/conversations/ruckus-icx-switches/icx-7150-not-letting-me-create-a-routerinterface/5f91c3fa135b77e247905c2e 

When I tried to follow I got invalid commands when I tried the following, upon help found following command are not there.

conf t
boot system flash secondary

Question:

1) How to change switch to router

2) If I change switch to router, then can I remove the router?

5 REPLIES 5

jijo_panangat
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Praveen,

Here is the thing, ICX has 2 flash partitions primary and secondary. You can load Routing or switching code to any of the partition based on your requirement.
Starting from FI 08.0.90 we have introduced UFI image, i.e. A unified FastIron Image (UFI), consisting of the application image, the boot code image and the signature file, can be downloaded in a single file.
Beginning with FastIron 08.0.90, there will be primary and secondary partitions for the boot image and new commands have been introduced along with other changes. Its not a recommendation to have a pre-08.0.90 release in one partition and FI 08.0.90 or later in the other partition, Pls go thru 'Ruckus FastIron Software Upgrade Guide, 08.0.90 for additional info.

You can use boot system flash primary/secondary to switch between the partitions. 

Thanks

Jijo 

Hi Jijo,

If I load the routing code do I still need another router between modem and ICX 7150 or I can directly connection router to ICX7150?

When I tried to follow I got invalid commands when I tried the following, command. Can you please provide the instructions to change the ICX 7150 to router image?

conf t
boot system flash secondary

jijo_panangat
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Praveen,

You might still need one for NATing services, Pls confirm with your service provider.

Pls share the output of 'show flash' from cli.

Thanks

Jijo 

I use spectrum. If it supports NAT, then I will provide other details.