cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if I enable mesh network option in my zone , can't I use 5G band any more ??

nuwan_weerasing
New Contributor III
Hi All, I am using R500 AP and VSmartZone ,

if I enable mesh network option in my zone , can't I use 5G band any more ?? or only i cannot be use 5G band while my AP loss wired connection and activate mesh feature on network
7 REPLIES 7

john_d
Valued Contributor II
As Andrea commented in the other thread, this is absolutely false. Even with Mesh enabled, clients can still connect to the mesh band.  The uplink is merely a hidden special SSID, and Ruckus AP's support a large number of SSIDs per WLAN.

seanmuir
Contributor III
Make sure you design your network right, if your allowing clients  to connect on the 5GHz radio, as a large number of clients will slow your MESH layer down.

My advice would be to us the max-aid command which will limit the amount of clients that can connect to the 5GHz radio:
set max-aid wlan32 40
Note: I am not saying limit the value to 40, I am only providing you the script. 🙂

You could also delve into the possibilities of using Client Admission Control (CAC) (if your using the SZ/SCG platform), but it is early days yet and there are loads of extra values needed to make this option viable in certain networks.

CAC works by looking at clients usage, airtime utilisation, client capabilities and client numbers. By assessing the values you put in it will either allow or deny it entry on to the radio based on positive or false positive values (you can configure seperate entry criteria on either of the AP's radios).

nuwan_weerasing
New Contributor III
Thanks Sean & John,