cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoneFlex 7982 Devices connecting to far away AP's.

brian_coppin
New Contributor II
Hello everyone, I work for a school district and we are having some issues with some of our devices connecting to AP's that are a rather significant distance away. We have zoneflex 7982 APs and Zone Director 3025 controllers.

If I check Neighboring AP's the signal % on most is under 15% however some are upwards of 40%+

Any ideas that may help solve this issue as we are working on rolling out 1:1 solutions with chromebooks and half the devices will connect to a far away AP causing issues.

Thanks again!
6 REPLIES 6

munish_munish
Contributor
Hi Brian ,

looks like a duplicate Question .

Have you done the Rf site survey before the deployment ?

AP selection is a client decision. I don't think there is anything to set in the ZD/controller for the client to connect to an specific AP.Each client has its own way to connect the AP depend on s/n, interference, signal strength (RSSI) etc.

We should deploy the AP correctly with 15% cell overlap with proper power levels.

There could be alot of reasons for this behavior .

1.Laptop/Device NIC drivers
2.interference
3. very high Tx power on far end AP
4. Poor AP cell overlap ( It can cause roaming issues as well)

Try to disable lower data rates on the far end APs.
Update the driver of the client devices.
See if it helps .

Thanks
Munish

brian_coppin
New Contributor II
We are using HP Pro Book 6560's and HP 14in Chromebooks. All drivers on both devices are up to date. Some specific devices have issues and others do not all while in the same room. We also did have a site survey before deployment but I don't believe we had any help with initial setup of the devices.

munish_munish
Contributor
Hi Brain ,

As APs are already deployed, You might need to fine tune your wireless network by adjusting the tx power levels of far end Aps . Try reducing the power of far APs and see if it helps .

How many APs are deployed in that area?

Thanks
Munish

brian_coppin
New Contributor II
We currently have (12) APs at that location.