cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zone Director and unleashed APs?

bdillard
Contributor II

Hello,

I've set up several networks using the unleashed APs.   I've never touched zone director before and I realize it is EOL.   The client wants to use MyWifi (a guest network data capture solution).    Currently MyWifi only works with Zone Director - they probably won't have the ruckus cloud version for several months.   Since I've never used it I thought I'd ask some basic questions.

1. Can I just update the firmware on the unleashed APs to make the Zone director accessible?

2. Do I need to buy a ZD license for each AP?

3. If I buy a used one on ebay any particular model I should get - we have 15 of the R650s

4. Anything else you think I should know?

2 REPLIES 2

bdillard
Contributor II

Any thoughts?

sanjay_kumar
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi @bdillard 

If you are looking for only ZD solutions then please find the below details:

1. Can I just update the firmware on the unleashed APs to make the Zone director accessible?
Ans : You need to upgrade the APs to Standalone version (110, 114) and then it can connect to ZD.

2. Do I need to buy a ZD license for each AP?
ZD needs to have AP license so that it can manage the APs. If you do not have AP license then APs will not be able to join the ZD.

3. If I buy a used one on ebay any particular model I should get - we have 15 of the R650s.
That depends if the ZD has the support or not so that you can upgrade in order to support the R650s.

4. Anything else you think I should know?
You can try the vSZ\SZ solutions since the ZD is EOL and you need to consider the future aspects.