cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX 7450 router

thiago_salles_8
New Contributor
I new at Brocade and I have ICX 7450-24p with 3 module fiber.

=====
telnet@DIST-BRU(config)#show running-config
Current configuration:
!
ver 08.0.30hT211
!
stack unit 1
  module 1 icx7450-24-port-management-module
  module 2 icx7400-xgf-4port-40g-module
  module 3 icx7400-xgf-4port-40g-module
  module 4 icx7400-xgf-4port-40g-module
!
!

=====

I can't active "rip" and don't finded router-interface, that switch is L2?
5 REPLIES 5

duke_schweikert
New Contributor II
Do a show version, if you don't have any router options you're most likely on switch code, SPS, SPR is the router code.

BenBeck
As Duke mentioned, you may need to boot in to router code (SPR). If you do a "show flash", you may already have a router image in secondary. You can boot to it once with "boot system flash secondary" at privileged exec. You can also make that the permanent boot preference by issuing the same command from global config mode (conf t). If you need router code, you can download it in the support portal. 
Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

Ben and Duke, That's working now, thanks you so much for fast reply!!
Booting from sec code..

now SPR:

telnet@DIST-BRU(config)#show version
  Copyright (c) 1996-2016 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    UNIT 1: compiled on May 19 2016 at 01:44:58 labeled as SPR08030h
      (31678660 bytes) from Secondary SPR08030h.bin

netwizz
Contributor III
You can also do a "show boot-preference" to see which slot your unit boots though it doesn't tell you the image.

For example, on a stack of 7450-48F units (similar to your units):

Boot system preference(Configured):
        Boot system flash secondary
Boot system preference(Default):
        Boot system flash primary
        Boot system flash secondary

Also if you do a "show run" I see this:

boot sys fl sec

The difference to make the boot option permanent is to do it in global configuration.

Switch>enable
user:
pass:
Switch# conf t
Switch(Config)# boot system flash secondary
Switch(Config)# exit
Switch# wr mem

You may want to know what is available:

Switch#show flash
Stack unit 1:
  Compressed Pri Code size = 29823132, Version:08.0.80cT213 (SPR08080ca.bin)
  Compressed Sec Code size = 29819448, Version:08.0.80dT213 (SPR08080d.bin)
  Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.14T215
  Code Flash Free Space = 1749340160

The above SPR makes it Layer-3 "Routing" code.  SPS is Layer-2 or "Switch" code.

If I were to change this device to boot Primary, it would boot SPR08080ca.bin

That said,

By convention for Ruckus ICX, Brocade, Foundry, and other FastIron based switches, it is by convention when running Layer-3 code we boot from the secondary.  They ship new in box with Switch code in the primary slot and Routing Code in the Secondary slot (if you buy a layer-3 capable device).

In the case of mine above, you will notice that I have routing code in both the primary and secondary slots... that Primary is simply an older build.  This is because when I upgrade the firmware, I backup the existing code to other slot.  In this case when I upgraded SPR code from 08.0.80ca to 08.0.80d, I ran the command "copy flash flash primary."  Once verified complete I used "verif md5 pri" to validate the MD5 checksum to ensure the backup image is intact in the unlikely event it is needed!  At that point, I upgraded the bootrom and copied SPR for 08.0.80d to Secondary.  I also checked the checksum on the new secondary.

If I was updating switch code such as SPS code, I would by convention be booting from Primary (I leave it set to default) for this.  If I was doing a backup, I would copy Primary => Secondary to back switch code up.

The reasoning is that if there is a problem, with a console cable you can get to the boot-monitor and booth whichever slot you want.  In the event something goes wrong and the device fails to boot up, it would almost certainly boot to boot-monitor.  Otherwise, it would be in a boot-loop that could be interrupted by pressing "b" when prompted.

Hope that helps.  I know it is a lot of info, but it is the why, the how, and the reasoning.

*knocks on wood* I have never had an ICX device fail to boot after a firmware upgrade!