cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Guest WLAN? How to?

ethan_wise
New Contributor
Hi,

I am new to the world of rukus, i was wondering if anyone could share some information on how the guest access that the Rukus R500 offers?

We basically want to set up a seperate WLAN for guest access when we have visitors, to seperate bandwidth and so that they would not be able to access any other information stored over the network?

I have played around with the guest access a bit already, however the only way I have found to do it is by generating guest passes, however we want the guest access to just have a set password that we can display on our premises and those that connect to it do not have any access to what we share over our network.

Any help as to the best way to do this would be great.

Thanks,

Ethan
8 REPLIES 8

This would be set at the DHCP level for the VLAN that you are using. Set the DNS for 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.2. This will send the requests to outside DNS services and not use the internal DNS.

Thanks for the answer! Currently Ruckus is the DHCP server for wireless clients. So to rephrase my original question I'm wondering how to do exactly what you suggest: set the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 for the clients in that are fully isolated.

I believe that the DHCP server for the ZD is 'global' rather than VLAN specific. Meaning that the guest network is probably getting the same IP address range as the 'normal' SSID, Is this a correct assumption?

Sorry, I hit  submit too soon. The ZD DHCP server is very limited and while supported, is not recommended.

To do what you are wanting to do, you should setup DHCP on your firewall, switch or server and then couple this with separate VLANS.