cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why byod provisioning

marko_markovic_
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I have recently seen this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AUki6_lJPA

So, in short - the guy makes 3 wlans and 3 roles so that each role can connect just to 1 wlan. And then he makes a provisioning hotspot where users authenticate using username and password, and get automatically redirected to their wlan (zero-it activation). Can someone point out to me what are the benefits of this approach compared to not having a provisioning wlan, but instead users connect to their wlan and then autenthicate there using a username/password combination (802.1x using internal database on the controller). 

It seems to me that it's just one wlan more (the hotspot) for the same service, but surely I'm wrong.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hi Marko,

Using 802.1x with userid/pw and assigned roles is great security, your AAA server
can pass back attributes to set lots of things from VLAN to permitted WLANs, etc. 

Zero-IT is often used for multiple device access permissions, like your phone and
laptop, onto a WPA2-PSK type WLAN and works well for Education and Hospitality
deployments.  One solution is to use a HotSpot WLAN to redirect clients to the Zero-IT
provisioning utility.

irvan_irvan
New Contributor III
This is the powerfull feature. For example you want create ssid for Employee(integrate with Active Directory) & Guest on 1 onboarding portal. The step is create:
1. SSID Employee (integrate with AD or other AAA)
2. SSID Guest (Voucher or Selfservice)
3. SSID Onboarding Portal

With Zero-IT, client connect to the SSID Onboarding portal and choose "Register Device"(Employee) or  "Guest Access"(Guest) . The result is Client will automatically redirect to ssid Employee/Guest