cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need vlan Pooling Or No?

john_westlund
New Contributor III
Our current wireless network is Cisco and we have a secure SSID for our school owned devices and an open SSID that employees and staff use with their personal devices.  We are planning our Ruckus deployment and I am trying to decide if I should use vlan pooling.  It seems like it would limit broadcast traffic that could be a problem with a single large vlan but I wonder if it could cause issues with something like AirPlay if the AppleTV and iPad ended up in a different vlan.  Currently we have around 100-150 devices on the secure network at a time and at peak times we may see around 1500 on the open network.  We will be splitting the BYOD networks up where staff and student are on different vlans or vlan pools.  Should I use pooling or just go with single vlans?  I am planning the following:

District owned devices
Staff BYOD
Student BYOD
Onboarding

I may put the BYOD all under one network and use different vlans/pools and user roles to determine what they have access to based on how they logged in through Cloudpath.
3 REPLIES 3

1said_sanoussi
New Contributor III
i don't see the use of vlan pooling if you allready have different vlan plus scopes defined. Yuo are usuing cloudpath for onboarding so it should not be neccasary. I would only use vlans in a large enviroment without an onboarding platform. But that is more an opinion rather than best practice. Just thinking out loud

victor_cenac
Contributor
Who uses the Apple TV? If it's only for school owned devices then you're fine.

I see the Apple TV doing the handshake over BlueTooth first. If different VLANs can talk to the one the Apple TV is on, then again, VLAN poling would be fine. Having 1500 users on the same vlan is kinda' nuts 🙂

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
It's recommended to limit the broadcast domain when using AirPlay and AppleTV.
Too many MDNS broadcasts flooding your network (VLAN) will reduce overall throughput.