cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

r720 - iOS performance horrible IF WPA2 / encryption enabled on FW 110

stephen_hall_60
Contributor
This actually also applies to r710 only with FW 110 as well.   When using standalone FW  110.0.0.0.663 , if i enable WPA2 encryption, several test iOS devices will not see above 90mbit in either direction (speedflex or speedtest.net ). 

If i disable encryption, speeds go up to what they should be ( up to 550mbit real BW , depending on the iOS device's wireless capabilities).

This does NOT occur on FW 104.x (r710)  nor on 106.x (r720),  nor on unleashed 206.x ( r710/r720).   (its only w FW 110.x  and only on r710/r720,   ie issue is not occurring on a r600 we have w fw 110)

In my tests im only using/enabling the 5ghz radio.  (factory resets between FW changes / tests)

The issue also does not seem to affect other non iOS client devices (ie those are showing full speeds w ENC on).

(this is all in our office / lab,  not in the field as its our first test/experience w the r720)

I have reproduced the issue with both poe AT and when using the ruckus 60w 48v AC adapter (r720)  or 12v AC (r710).  So its not a power-mode issue (ie these two APs do have special POE power requirements).

My hunch is that something on the AP is keeping iOS STAs at 802.11 N or maybe only 1x1 chain of AC when WPA2 is enabled.

(im ofcourse testing with WPA2 , PSK, AES,  I have tested other ENC settings and the issue is the exact same, its only with ENC disabled do i see full, normal speeds on ios)

anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  These are on 2x new r720  (and r710 we already).

(i am aware of the other large thread w iOS issues and recent FW, but those are all lack of any connectivity on iOS,  the issue here is simply speed, not ever a lack of connectivity)

thanks
7 REPLIES 7

timothy_roe
New Contributor
Hello all,  

I just loaded Unleashed firmware 200.8.10.3.243 on both my R710 and the new R750.  I have consistent 580 Mbps and 860 Mbps respectively prior to the firmware upgrades (1 Gig speed in from ISP; used Speedtest app on a MacBook Pro).  I get 1/3 of those speeds after the upgrade.  The speed reverts back to normal when the encryption method is set to "None".  I noticed that when I use WPA2, WPA3 or any of the additional settings, the speeds are only 1/3 of normal.

I understand from prior posts that this was an issue a few firmware versions ago.  For me this appears to be still an issue.  I am entirely open to any suggestions.  

Best regards

Hi All,

I fixed the issue on the R710 by reverting to an earlier Unleashed Firmware version (200.6...).  The R750 is at full speed since making it "Master". 

Best regards, Tim 

nick_chevsky
New Contributor II
This problem was resolved in Unleashed versions 200.8.10.3.278 and 200.7.10.202.118, as reported in thread Slow Download Speeds R710 Unleashed.