cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

determine access point client is connected to on client

phil_collett
New Contributor II

Is there a way to check which access point a client is connected to on the client? I guess meraki has a intercept page (my.meraki.com) like the home netgear products do (mynetgear.com).

I know I can check the controller or AP for connected clients, but I am trying to troubleshoot some iPad connection issues which more than likely boil down to an app problem, but could be network related. We have a ZD1205 and 14 APs. I have 2 new r500 on my desk and currently have mostly zf7363, 1 r500 deployed and 3 x zf7782. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Determining_which_Access_Point_You_are_Connected_to

3 REPLIES 3

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
Hi Phil,
    Only the controller can show which AP your client is currently connected to.
Tools like 'tracert' don't show the AP IP you go thru either.  You would likely be
getting dropped on a different VLAN than the AP/Controller are on too. I don't
see an easy way for the client to tell, so a feature request to your SE would
be necessary, sorry.

phil_collett
New Contributor II

Thanks, I did not see it in the docs so figured it might not be in there. Did a tracert before posting in here and of course I just saw the gateways. tried arp -a etc but just shows resolved hosts.

I am just trying to see if roaming AP could be causing the trouble or just a vendors app. iPads have awful wireless, so that does not help.

phil_collett
New Contributor II

Maybe I should start a new thread.

So I guess this question is more of a keeping clients associated to a particular AP longer. I will try to make a new SSID and have it on a WLAN group and throw specific AP's in it to broadcast that SSID.

the link inside the thread below is dead, but I am guessing I make a SSID, configure a WLAN group with all the SSIDS I want and the new one, Make an AP Group and configure the WLAN group override, then put the APs in that group?

https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/ruckuswireless/topics/how_do_i_prevent_a_computer_for_changing_ass...

I have excellent wifi coverage and no computers mess up, just ipad apps because they, or just this, app are stateful and socket based I guess so it craps out if these ipads are maybe changing AP association.