cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZF-7962- Just want to create a simple guest wireless connection

dan_bantner_605
New Contributor II
I have a ZF-7962, love it.
I want to have 2 wireless connections. 1 for users on the domain and one for guests.My wireless connection for domain users works fine. Guest wireless does not.

I have setup a local subnet under on the ZF, but I am not sure how to give it access to the internet through the AP.

Here is how it is setup:
Local subnet:
Starting address: 192.168.40.2
Access VLAN 40

Static IP set up for Internet settings.

Wireless 2.4:
Wireless1 (working) Packet forward (Bridge to Wan) Access VLAN 1
Wireless2 (not working) Packet forward (local subnet NAT and Route to Wan)
Local Subnet: Local Subnet 1
Access VLAN 40

What am i missing?
8 REPLIES 8

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
So..can think of 2 things.

1) If you are connecting to a modem and not a router, it's only going to give you a single IP address. You already consumed that with Wireless1. So you would need a router for this to work. However...(and this is where my first answer comes in) if you set up a local subnet for everything except the ethernet connected to your modem, it should work. Just make sure and use different subnets on each (and set the DHCP server as well)

2) Just set the VLAN's all to 1 (the untagged) - I don't think this is the issue but it's worth a shot and won't hurt anything.

dan_bantner_605
New Contributor II
But if I do it that way, with 2 different subnets, I am not going to be able to access the network, because both subnet will be different than my network subnet.

So, to set this up properly, I will need to configure that second subnet (guest wireless) to route to the internet only. And that is not done on the AP, it's done on the router side, correct?

dan_bantner_605
New Contributor II
I mean, because there is not point in having 2 different subnets if I can't establish where each of them is going. Subnet1 has access to everything, subnet2 has access to internet only. And I am not sure if, the Ruckus AP supports that.

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
Yes, lost some context in the thread but you are correct that the AP by itself won't support this. I think there's a way using a router and some tricks w DHCP to do it but need to play around w it.