cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Signal Range in open Area for AP mdel of zf7363, zf7372, zf7055, zf7982?

bong_lopez_6851
New Contributor II
someone can give me the signal range in open area?
3 REPLIES 3

victor_tort
New Contributor III
There is no a short answer for that. Many factor will influence in how the signal behaves even in open area.

But as an alternative you can check our support site data sheets of every AP to have a better idea

Victor,

munish_munish
Contributor
Hi Bong,

It is a bit complicated and reverse engineering math , when we talk about the rage/ distance covered by a radio . Basicaly the range of an AP depends on alot of factor, TX power/interference/ obstacles / reflection/ Fresnel zone (If out door) . Theroticaly we can calculate the distance/range by considering free space path loss and the EIRP.

First you need is to determine predictive/expected the EIRP of the radio/AP and what is at your client . 2nd ,receiver sensitivity of the access point and the client . Calaculation of EIRP is as follows.

EIRP= TX power set on the AP - cable loss + Antenna gain

Lets say: 15db -3db + 11 db = 23 EIRP

Once we determine the EIRP of the access point ,we can than calculate the FSPL( Free space path loss) based on distance and the frequency . Frequency plays a very important role in calculating the distance of a transmitter . 2.4 ghz give us a good range as its wavelegth is longer than 5ghz.

Here is the formula for FSPL

FSPL(dB)} = 20log{10}(d) + 20log{10}(f) + 32.45

D5 = Distance in Miles

D9 = Frequency in Mhz

Lets say FSPL = 50db at 300ft distance

Now EIRP- Path loss would be the signal strengh i.e EIRP-Pathloss =Signal ==> 23- 50 = -27

SO lets say the client's receiving sensitivity is -70 , which means , it can have the signal as low as -70 and it will work fine. So -27 is the strong signal at 300ft.

Now if you increase the distance in the formula and try to make the signal -70 or above . As client has the receiving sensitivity of -70 , it would be the range ( Distance)for this client .

I know it is too complicated at once,however if you calculate the Free Space Path Loss and EIRP, it will give you a rough idea at what distance the client will still have a good signal,and determine the coverage area.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Munish

john_d
Valued Contributor II
It's really difficult to come up with a figure for this. Munish has a good answer for the theory of signal range, but whether or not the signal is usable for that range depends on a lot of factors (including interference from other AP's in the area), and the initial parameters depend on how you mount your AP's both in terms of orientation and nearby physical obstructions.

If you are targeting mobile devices, their dynamic orientation poses a unique challenge too around the fringe of reception. They might have okay reception until they turn away from the AP or grip their phone right on the wifi antenna, at which point their throughput plummets.

I don't have any experience with the 7363, but I have seen with the 7372 vs 7982, the better antenna array on the 7982 does give you maybe 10-20% more range, but it's not a hugely noticeable difference for a large price gap. If your budget is virtually "unlimited", then the 7982 is a superior choice, but if you are trying to choose between more of (7372/7363) vs fewer 7982's, then I would absolutely recommend getting more lower-cost AP's rather than relying on fewer higher-cost AP's to cover a larger range.