cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Autodiscovery with ZoneDirector and vSZ on same network

newsfool
New Contributor III
I hope this is an easy question.

I have a mix of older and newer Ruckus equipment on our network.

I want all my new R610 AP's to auto-discover our new vSZ via a ruckuscontroller.domain.local DNS entry.

However, I also have an older ZoneDirector 1100 on another subnet, mostly with 7962 APs.  I don't want any older series APs to accidentally discover and associate with the vSZ.

Am I right to assume that the newer R-series APs look for "ruckuscontroller" as a DNS entry and the older 7962 and similar vintage APs look for "zonedirector" DNS entries for autodiscovery?

We have a large building, and we will be phasing over from ZD to the vSZ gradually and I don't want to have APs going to the wrong controller during the transition.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

diego_garcia_de
Contributor III
any chance you can use the DHCP option path instead of DNS?... or maybe, via DHCP assign a dns prefix to the R610 APs? so that you can then do something like ruckuscontroller.r610.domain.local (where r610 is a subdoain assigned in the dhcp settings)?

dionis_taveras_
New Contributor
You can use DHCP Option 43 suboption 6 for the SZ controller and sub-option 3 for the ZD APs.  This applies to all SmartZone and all ZD APs.  This will make sure that APs that you want going to the ZD go to the ZD by putting the ZD IP on the suboption 3 section while the ip of SZ will be on the suboption 6 section of the dhcp server.  This can be configured in a switch, router, or server such as Linux and windows. 

dionis_taveras
Contributor II
You can use DHCP Option 43 suboption 6 for the SZ controller and sub-option 3 for the ZD APs.  This applies to all SmartZone and all ZD APs.  This will make sure that APs that you want going to the ZD go to the ZD by putting the ZD IP on the suboption 3 section while the ip of SZ will be on the suboption 6 section of the dhcp server.  This can be configured in a switch, router, or server such as Linux and windows. 

newsfool
New Contributor III
Thanks. It sounds like the DHCP option is the best way to go for this.