cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK- Ofcom Improving spectrum access for Wi-Fi Spectrum use in the 5 GHz and 6 GHz bands

andrew_bailey_7
New Contributor III
Hi

Ofcom in the UK (the frequency spectrum regulartor) has recently issued a statement on WiFi Spectrum User in the 5GHz and 6GHz bands.

The document is here:-

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0036/198927/6ghz-statement.pdf

How will these changes become available in the Ruckus products? Will a firmware upgrade be required?

Kind Regards,

Andy.

3 REPLIES 3

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your message.

Any new frequency functionality usually requires updated silicon from the Wi-Fi chipset vendor; such as Qualcomm or Broadcom and is then encompassed in a new hardware product from all Wi-Fi vendors.

Certainly adoption of the 6GHz frequencies (Wi-Fi6E) will require all-new silicon and Access Point platform(s).

As the first vendor to market with a certified Wi-Fi 6 access point; you can be sure that Ruckus will ensure our product portfolio is kept up to date with emerging technologies, such as 6GHz functionality, as and when standards and regulatory bodies provide the framework for interoperability.

I hope the above information is useful.

Best regards,
Darrel.

andrew_bailey_7
New Contributor III
Hi Darrel,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Sorry, I perhaps wasn't as clear as I should be! I understand that new hardware will be a requirement for 6GHz (I think this is the WiFI 6E variant).

In my case I have R510 APs- these show additional channels (149, 153, 157, 161) which are "greyed out".

I presume this is because UK licencing restrictions previously didn't allow these channels to be used (they required licecning before this new guidance was issued). These are in the higher end of the existing 5GHz band, not in the new 6GHz band.

These licecning changes should allow me to use those channels- if the hardware supports it. I presume the Ruckus APs do?

Does that make more sense?

Kind Regards,

Andy.

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the clarification.

Please can you confirm the controller platform and software version you are using.

The data sheet for the R510 indicates that the platform is capable of using the higher frequency channels:
  • 5GHz: 36-64, 100-144, 149-165

However it could be a limiation on the version of your controller platform and/or version.  I've attached a screenshot of SmartZone 5.2.0 on a UK-configured Zone, with 5.8GHz channels enabled.

Image_ images_messages_5f91c45d135b77e247a49e81_d32f3482aa8ed896ef9f2c8c0b9ac526_RackMultipart2020080716296um2h-487aef12-d28a-4b43-81f7-c9abed695338-600351753.png1596790546

Thanks,
Darrel.