cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchstar Boston 8500 Handheld Scanner Disconnecting

julius_kisieli1
New Contributor III
Hi all,

We have quite 40 Touchstar Boston 8500 (http://www.touchstar.co.uk/product_mo...) Hand Held Barcode scanners that connect via ZoneFlex 7352 controlled by a Smart Standby Zondirector 1100 to our network.

We have just started testing and what we have found is that the hand held units seem to "disconnect" from the network at random intervals (5-60 minutes) all sleep and power setting are either off or on max. The hand held still has an IP address but the device can no longer access the LAN or can be pinged from any machine within our network. To reconnect we need to put the device in standby mode and then switch it back on, this effectively restarts the network card.

The WLAN card that the handheld has is a Summit, I have found a setting that I thing may be responsible for the drop off's as it may interfere with what the ZoneDirector is trying to do: http://www.summitdata.com/Documents/G...

Agressive Scan is a feature in Summit WLAN cards that actively looks for better Ap's and try's to connect to them, from my understanding the ZoneDirector will transfer the device between Ap's? Would this be culprit?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Julius
33 REPLIES 33

Morning Primoz, we ran ping testing over night from the ZD to AP's and to all of our core switches, 40 000 packets sent 0% packet loss. We have upgraded to 9.6.1 and the initial results seem promising. Will keep you updated.

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
Any change?

Am afraid not, devices still dropping off.

Probably the best thing would be to open a case now and send some logs. Although a packet capture wouldn't hurt. It's strange that the problem is roaming. I've never heard of this and I've worked with some pretty bad clients in my time.

What's the security setting?
Is the security different on other SSIDs if any other?

Could you also try maybe channel width on the APs. Use 20MHz and check. Although it is on 20 right now, maybe explicitly fixing it will help.

Thanks 🙂 We are talking with Ruckus at the moment, have sent them some logs last Friday waiting for them to come back.

Were using WPA2-PSK AES, we're onlyh running one SSID at present.

We have changed to 20mhz now, seems optimisticly more stable.

Thanks for all your help will keep you posted in the next few days of the outcome.