cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing AP performance - speedflex questions

david_lipkin
New Contributor II

I have three APs - 720, 720, 710. They all are running POE and are configured as mesh even though they have ethernet connections. I have a number of questions:

- if I run AP-AP speedflex will I get a result that is via ethernet or wireless? currently I only see ~320 up and down with this test. I'm concerned that I have a wiring issue since I'm getting such low performance. 

- I'm considering moving to 1-2 R750s and some 350s at the edge. Should this switch to 802.11ax improve performance? What's the expected AP to client performance with 802.11ax?

- I understand that problems with POE can produce lower than maximum transmit power. What transmit should I see? I'm not getting alerts.

- What's the maximum throughput from AP to client that I should expect? I can't get better than ~320 on 5G.

- Often I see it recommended to separate the SSIDs for 2.4 and 5Ghz. Will that improve performance for the Ruckus devices or is it unnecessary. 

Thanks for the help.

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

y2
New Contributor III

The performance shouldn't be degraded.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

y2
New Contributor III

For each mesh hops, you would expect to lose 50% of the traffic. Approx 30% of traffic after that over WiFi.

The overall speed will depend on your RF environment as well.  Depending on the controller you use, you will be able to test multi-hop speed.  It would also be affected by client you use.  Usually iPhones yield better results with speedflex over a few Android phones.

I'd recommend. putting R750 or R720 where you can cable and meshed nodes to associate to these units or have PtP backhaul with Siklu, Cambium or other vendors.

david_lipkin
New Contributor II

Thanks - does Mesh decrease performance even when there are ethernet backhauls in place?

y2
New Contributor III

The performance shouldn't be degraded.