cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartRoam log messages

mark_wylie_6143
New Contributor II
Upon following the instructions in this document: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000002277

After applying the command on the ZD I get a big stream of log messages that match what that document says at the bottom; "disconnected by admin" - but then after watching for an hour I see no further messages, on a network with 1500+ devices and lots of connect/disconnects, I would have expected to have seen further messages "disconnected by admin" when the SmartRoam RSSI is reached. Or is the tech document only saying you will see those log messages the first time you apply it and they are hidden in future normal disconnects?

Short and long of it is I'm after a way to see how often SmartRoam is kicking clients off the WLAN.

Thanks,

Mark
3 REPLIES 3

john_d
Valued Contributor II
I'm quite sure the "disconnected by admin" message is old, and in the current firmware, it simply nondescriptly says that the user left the network. I've never seen a SmartRoam specific message even though I've had plenty of devices kicked off by SmartRoam.

mark_wylie_6143
New Contributor II
Thanks John,

Yeah I'm running 9.8.2.0 build 15

I can see why they changed it possibly, but it would have been good to get a handle on how often it was happening, though I suspect on a network as big as ours the answer would have been "constantly".

Cheers,

Mark

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Yeah, perhaps someone with more internal Ruckus knowledge would know if there's a way to tell when SmartRoam kicks a client off. In my experience the logs look identical to just the client leaving on their own accord.

Have any of your users complained about unexplained loss of connectivity, especially in the middle of streaming / VOIP applications?

I've generally found with more recent clients (even from the mentioned vendors), the devices make generally good roaming decisions on their own, and SmartRoam might serve to create more connectivity issues than solve. I'd be curious to know what kind of roaming problems you had and with what kind of clients.