cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Rate Limits on SSID - not consistent with speed tests

william_chard_7
New Contributor II
I have been using the rate-limiting feature for some time.  We are able to achieve the set rates on SSID's when we use the 10Mpbs or lower settings.  I need to be able to set the rate limit in 10Mbps increments for a Tiered Usage Model.   Setting it at 10Mbps I get close to the set rate. When I set it to 20Mpbs on up to 50Mbps my speed tests are dismal.  If I turn off rate limiting then my speed tests give me  the full 100Mbps connection.  

ZD 3000 HA Mode
Firmware 9.12.2.0 build 204  ( I just upgraded this ZD from 9.6 and I have all r710 and h500 AP's.  I have seen this issue across the firmware from 9.0 )
14 REPLIES 14

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
Have you verified the same experience with an internal Iperf test or if a mobile device using speedflex app and using the ZD as the speedflex server? What device are you testing with? 

william_chard_7
New Contributor II
I have tested with both a macbook pro and an iPhone 5s and 6.  I have also see the speedtest results from Windows Laptops.  I am using speedtest.net to test the Up/Down speeds. This is my benchmark, because when I see my wifi to guests they use speedtest.net to verify what i am selling them.

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
ok when you say dismal, can you be more sepcific? When you are testing, do you know if you are connected to the 2.4 or 5GHz radio? Does the issue experienced take effect on both radio's or just one? Can I also ask what the use case of the WLAN is? Will check known issues in the RN's

william_chard_7
New Contributor II
Sorry I know that dismal is a relative term.  

When the rate limiting is set at 20Mbsp/2Mbps we are seeing speeds of 7Mbps / 2 Mbps up to 12Mbps/2Mbps and so on.  I never see the speeds get close to the limited mark. When I turn off the rate limiting for the same SSID, I will get speeds closer to the full bandwidth of the circuit.  In this case, the AP I was connected to was on the 5 Ghz band.