cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Rate Limits on SSID - not consistent with speed tests

william_chard_7
New Contributor II
I have been using the rate-limiting feature for some time.  We are able to achieve the set rates on SSID's when we use the 10Mpbs or lower settings.  I need to be able to set the rate limit in 10Mbps increments for a Tiered Usage Model.   Setting it at 10Mbps I get close to the set rate. When I set it to 20Mpbs on up to 50Mbps my speed tests are dismal.  If I turn off rate limiting then my speed tests give me  the full 100Mbps connection.  

ZD 3000 HA Mode
Firmware 9.12.2.0 build 204  ( I just upgraded this ZD from 9.6 and I have all r710 and h500 AP's.  I have seen this issue across the firmware from 9.0 )
14 REPLIES 14

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
Ok, I can test this on my ZD but not back to the lab until Wednesday morning. Do you experience this on H500 as well as R710? Also, out of interest, what happens if you set the rate at a balanced 15Mb say?

william_chard_7
New Contributor II
I have experienced this on r710 H500 7055 7025 2942 .  We thought it was a flaw in the older AP's, but the new ones just installed are doing the same.  I have also tested the rate limiting on 12 Mbps 15 Mbps 25Mbps. Same results.  It seems the magic number is 10Mbps everything over that give the same rate limit issues. 

Thank you

john_d
Valued Contributor II
Is your outgoing line truly limited at  100mbit/s or does it allow bursting?

It's not too surprising that applying a bandwidth limit at the AP level will result in sometimes getting lower amounts, especially on TCP based speedtests like Speedtest.net. Ruckus AP's do let a little bit of bursting if you haven't been pushing up against the capped speed, but it seems like it's on the order of milliseconds of bursting.

FWIW, on my 250mbit connection (where my ISP provisions it at a max line speed of 350 or so, and it throttles down gradually to 250), I've tried the speed limits on a T300 from 10mbit up to 50mbit and it's able to accurately track all of those speeds. Running 9.12.2.0.204.

william_chard_7
New Contributor II
@john It is truly rated at 100/10, and with the lower rate limits it works, just not those past 10Mbps

robert_lowe_722
Contributor III
Hi William, I have just tested with lab system which is currently on 9.8.1.0.15. My line is approx 20Mb up and 15 Down. At 10/10 I had a true speed test and at 15 it was 14 + 12.5 (which is to be expected). That was with 7372 AP's

I have plans to fire up a new lab system in the coming days with R500's & R310's on latest release so will test again on that