cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate or same SSID for 5GHz capable IoT devices?

rajdude
New Contributor

Hello everyone!

What is the best practice to to keep traffic from my IoT devices which are capable of connecting to 5GHz away from my main network?

Actually my question is a little bit more involved. Years ago, I separated my 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands on my R550 at home. This is what my home network looks like currently:

IoT SSID is 2.4 GHz only and on VLAN 2
Home SSID is 5 GHz only and on VLAN 1
Guest SSID (Rucks handles it)
Side business SSID for members on VLAN 3

VLAN 2 & 3 have no ports open to VLAN 1. I have a router - Firewalla Purple which handles those rules.

Everything works "almost" fine but many times while using the microwave in the kitchen the Amazon echo and firesticks disconnect. They are on the IoT network (as they should) but the microwave interferes with 2.4. The devices on 5 keep on working fine. These Amazon devices "are" fully capable of using 5.

So what I am wondering is this:

Should I create a third SSID - IoT2 for VLAN 2 and have 5GHz on it? Or should I go old school and enable both 2.4 & 5 bands on the existing IoT SSID. I am afraid that all the plug-in switches, receptacles, lights and crappy old IoT devices which are strictly 2.4 GHz only and use that IoT SSID will then have connectivity issues.

I do want (eventually) the Amazon devices to be able to use my home server (via Plex) and show photos and movies stored there. But that is a firewall config thing, which I can handle on my router (Firewalla Purple). But that is why I was thinking: Why not put the Amazon devices on the home network. Are they "that insecure"? I mean, I am sure I would keep the crappy no name IoT switched-sockets & bulbs totally separate but..... ummm..not sure about the Amazon devices.

What do others do?

Your suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks

0 REPLIES 0