cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus 7962 AP

andrew_coleman_
New Contributor II
Can the Ruckus Zoneflex 7962 AP operate in Standalone mode, or does it require a controller, like a WLC?   

I found a refurb at a great price, since  I mainly wanted to just open it up to show my students how BeamFlex differs from Beam Forming (I've seen "parts-only models of the same AP go for 4x-5x the price).,

If it's capable of operating without a controller, I'll definitely snap it up, since this would be the first Ruckus AP I've ever used, and I'm trying to introduce my students to as many different APs and other wireless devices as possible.   

The product PDF the seller linked to states this: 

"The ZoneFlex 7962 can be
managed as a standalone AP through a Web-based GUI
, using SNMP or through the Ruckus FlexMaster Wi-Fi remote management system. Local management can also be performed using the ZoneDirector Smart WLAN controller."

(emphasis mine)

If it really can be used standalone, I'll happily snap it up tonight, even if I need to get just a power brick instead of a PoE injector, since it would stay indoors in the lab (although the PoE injector is preferable).  

Can anybody clear this up for me, before I pull the trigger on this? 

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

andrew_coleman_
New Contributor II
Thanks for the reply, Michael!  🙂

I'm basically teaching a Fundamentals of WiFi course (I'm doing this first, before gearing up for a CCNA Wireless class, and then progress to similar cert courses for other vendors), so I've got non-RMA'd equipment for those. 

I'm attempting to make the Fundamentals class as vendor-agnostic as possible, so as long at the 7962 lasts long enough for me to do a fast demo on configuring it, as well as hooking up the 8 other APs I have on hand to try to force beamflex to take effect to just show that off. 🙂

I'm also planning on taking the covering off after that, to show the students the internals, so I can illustrate how  beamflex would actually function, since I'm sure they'll get that confused with how beamflex is not the same thing as beamforming.   🙂

I snagged the file you mentioned last night, so I'm ready to install that once the unit shows up.  

I don't have a PoE switch handy right now, but could you let me know which PoE version it supports, that would be great.  I have plenty of PoE injectors for my other APs (obviously I can't use the two for the Ubiquiti CPEs, since those are proprietary),  but I *might* be able to use one of the others, depending on what the 7962 uses.  Worst case, I'll purchase the right one in a few weeks.  🙂

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
The zf7962 can be powered with 802.3af.  (doesn't need 802.3at)

andrew_coleman_
New Contributor II
Awesome possum!  🙂

Thanks for the help, Michael!  

They work fine on a ZD1000/1100 at any small size environment - home/garage/yard (even if thru a window)...
Those WLCs are still around at a bargain too, since we've officially EoL'd them, but we still provide last FW.

I like the design of the antenna daughter boards in zf7962 as well, to show the multiple element antennas.  
I had one in my office as a conversation piece.  That was definitely in "parts only" condition!