cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R720 with R500

roshan_menaka
New Contributor III
Hi,

I have setup office wifi with R720 and R500 in mix.
has about 8 APs in two floors . All the APs are running with firmware version 200.6.10.1.312.
one of R720 act as a Master.
We have place three R720s in a large hall about 50-60 users sitting area.there want be max 25 or 30 users per AP and R500 in a small room (5-6 seating) that used for meetings etc.

Before adding R500s all the clients are been automatically spread in to APs in a way that they are close to the AP.after add these R500s now i can see most of the clients are connected to R500 APs even though those are far away from the users. some users are sitting just under the big R720 but they still connected to smaller R500 in far away in a smaller room. 

is there any incompatibility with these two models or is it firmware issue ? 

6 REPLIES 6

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor
Hi RosMen,

To be clear; there is no "incompatibility" with any Ruckus Access Points when co-deployed with each other.  All the Access Points adhere to IEEE802.11 standards and can coexist, even in standalone mode. Once a Ruckus controller is deployed e.g. ZD, SZ, Unleashed, Cloud, then the APs will work in a coordinated fashion to optimise performance.

Your issue sounds like configuration mismatch between R500s and the R720s and for some reason clients are more inclined to connect to the R500 APs.  Remember in a Wi-Fi network, it is the client that makes the decision which AP it connects to.

Is your Unleashed master showing that the R500s are adopted and have the same configuration pushed to them as the R720s?

Thanks,
Darrel.

roshan_menaka
New Contributor III
Hi Darrel,

We add the R500 to the same existing cR720 cluster and they have the same configuration.

What channels did the APs select?  Clients tend to navigate towards non-DFS (26-48, 149-165) channels in my experience. Even if the closer AP is on a DFS (~52-144) channels. 

An excellent point! Some clients aren't DFS capable so will only operate in the lower 5GHz channels (in ETSI), so it could be that your R720 APs are operating on DFS channels and aren't seen by the client devices.