cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R510 - Force Client to Connect to Master AP

ryanhayes
New Contributor III
I have a newly installed Unleashed R510 system with 2 AP's wired together. It came with my new Smart Home. I have several issues:

Several of my clients are continually connecting to the AP that is the farthest away. It is especially bad with my Apple TV. My Apple TV is about 6 feet away from the Master AP downstairs, yet it will not stay connected to it. It wants to connect upstairs on the 2nd floor. When it does this, I get a very poor signal and a speedtest reveals <10 Mbps down and up (on a gigabit connection). If I restart the Apple TV, it will connect to the master for about an hour and speeds are fine (over 200 Mbps up and down). It will then switch back to the AP upstairs. I can also go into the Unleashed app, block the Apple TV then unblock it and it will once again connect back to the master. This is insane. Is there a way to force a client to only connect to the Master AP? Why is this happening? 

Secondly, how do I access the settings for the system? The app is very limited. 

Lastly - I pay for a static IP from my ISP. Do I enter that into my router that the ISP provided or into the Unleashed system? I'm assuming it's my ISP's router. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
9 REPLIES 9

hayward_kong
Contributor III
Ryan, what router do you have? Or are you using one of the R510 as router vs access point?

What’s you network structure like?

for example: Cable modem —> edgerouter lite —> Poe switch —> ruckus r510

hayward_kong
Contributor III
Is there a way you can find out the local lan ip of your ruckus? Yeah I don’t use the unleashes app much and just log on directly to the master ap via laptop web browser ...

ryanhayes
New Contributor III
Using my local ISP's router. I'm on a fiber gigabit network so no modem needed. Layout is Router - Poe switch - Ruckus R510. 

hayward_kong
Contributor III
yeah you should be able to login to the  fiber gigabit router and see what ip's are leased and see which one is the ruckus R510 ips... and then login to the Ruckus R510 master from there using a desktop/laptop computer via webbrowser.