cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple 7982 in standalone mode - with DHCP NAT

talbot_menear_6
New Contributor
I realize this is an off-the-wall question, but say I have 3 standalone APs each doing its own DCHP/NAT - does that kill the basic ability for a client to roam? I suspect I just need to connect all of them to a single router to do the DHCP and NAT, but I was just brainstorming and wondering what would happen if they each just had a direct public IP address on our internet connection (these are for open public access ONLY - I don't want them on my LAN at all). Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
You won't get true roaming, as the clients will re-auth and get different IP addresses when they move from AP to AP, but it might only be noticeable if you were streaming video, on a voice call, etc. Even if they are on common DHCP server that's still not roaming, but solves the new IP problem.

talbot_menear_6
New Contributor
Well, maybe I don't know what roaming really is then. But, your answer gives me what I need to know. Thank you .

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
Roaming is part of why the contoller is needed for secret sauce like pre-authenticating clients to each AP so VOIP calls can survive.