cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to assign port 2 on a R-550 AP to the same VLAN as the User defined VLAN on WIFI?

Old-Guy
New Contributor

Dear People smarter than I:

I recently moved to a 100 Unit retirement condo equipped with ~128 R-500 AP's attached to some Cisco managed switches for WIFI, all on one subnet (172.x.y.z).  In order to also provide Ethernet to each apartment, the builder created a separate common subnet (192.168.x.y) connected to each apartment's "home” AP via port 2.

The WIFI portion of the system manages broadcast and similar traffic well through unique USER-ID defined VLAN, one for each resident.

There are two issues.

1.  The Ethernet subnet can't see the WIFI subnet, so residents can't see their wired gadget via WIFI.

2.  ALL of the ethernet connected hosts and gadget "see" each other, including all their service advertisements, and other layer 2 traffic.

We know who has what AP.

Can I assign a VLAN ID to the ethernet port on the 550's so as to limit "broadcast" traffic to each unit and also allow that units gadgets to see each other?

I have 14 RUC manuals and have tried reading the networking one in particular but with 700 pages, I am striking out.

I would appreciate some guidance (can this work?), and perhaps a pointer to the correct manual, etc.

Thanks for begin there.

Eric.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Old-Guy
New Contributor

Was Easy...  Convert port 2 from "Trunk" to "access", add VLAN ID.  Done.

Took a LOT of reading...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Old-Guy
New Contributor

Was Easy...  Convert port 2 from "Trunk" to "access", add VLAN ID.  Done.

Took a LOT of reading...